2001 Johnson Carb Rebuild

LUGGIE

Cadet
Getting ready to rebuild my carbs on my Johnson 50hp. Any suggestion or help? This will be my first time.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 2001 Johnson Carb Rebuild

get a can of carb cleaner with the red straw, spray through jets and needle valve passage good, then soak carb in laquer thinner.

daselbee

Commander

I would not soak any plastic part in laquer thinner. Don't know if yours has plastic....

SparkieBoat

Captain

actually laquer thinner will not harm your plastic parts, that is why I use it instead of the carb soak stuff. plus it does not have the harmful fumes like carb soak. at least this has been my experience.

daselbee

Commander

actually laquer thinner will not harm your plastic parts, that is why I use it instead of the carb soak stuff. plus it does not have the harmful fumes like carb soak. at least this has been my experience.

I will have to try it. I have seen what laquer thinner does to plastic. Maybe this plastic is of a different formulation, and will not be affected.
I was always leery of trying it.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I have also heard that Gunk carb and parts cleaner will not harm plastic.. I leave the carbs in for a few hours in the laquer thinner, I have not noticed any plastic parts damaged so far, but test it for yourself before you throw your good carb in just to be sure. I do remove the float, so it does not soak.

jus4funn2010

Seaman Apprentice

I just rebuilt my carbs 2001 225hp and they are plastic. I took the advice of a couple seasoned mechanics and bought the biodegradeable "purple stuff" at the local parts store and soaked the carbs and bowls in it. Cleans them very well and did not harm the plastic. after the soak, I ran mine through the dishwasher and let them dry for a day. take care setting the floats and don't damage the jets removing and replacing. Also, if yours are plastic like mine, remember the screws are self tapping used from the factory. Be very careful replacing any of them, it is very easy to crossthread the old holes.