1973 Starcraft Nova 15' rebuild

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Ok I'm starting this thread to clean up my Jetstar thread
( http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=504223&page=7 )

This week I picked up a new project, a 1973 Starcraft Nova :D

Guy was asking $500, I managed to walk away with it for $350

Came with a 1971 or 72 Mercury 80hp red band
DSCF0134.jpg

DSCF0140.jpg

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1973 Starcraft Nova 15' rebuild

I had some minor issues getting the thing registered, the guy I bought it from bought it from another guy who put the serial number from the outboard on the bill of sale, and that guy was not the last one to register it.

I had to fill out a few forms, submit detailed pictures and today I managed to get the boat to clear.

It is now in my name :)

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

One of the previous owners put what I hope is gulvit on the rivets inside of the boat

The guy I bought it from was trying to take credit for alot, but I seriously think he was trying to fluff me up to get the price higher, I was able to flake some of it off with my finger while he was talking :p

I asked him what he used, and he had no clue, said the marine store told him it was for aluminum boats.

It kinda looks like the west marine epoxy I used on the wood on my Jetstar...

I'll get pictures showing that soon.

And I also have a bunch of parts in the boat I need to figure out, I will get pictures of that soon also.

This will be a much slower restore than my jetstar, mainly due to my wife wanting me to start the kitchen, and I spent my budget fixing up my jetstar... :redface:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Heck it takes longer to get a renewal license here then it did for you to BREEZE through a complicated transfer.....

In WV a inspection by sheriff or state trooper is required, they come in @ 1hr from time you call at no cost, just another step to be done. I need to get the 650 off the transom so I can reinstall the trim that has the HIN, call for inspection, which I should have no problem passing, and I'll be able to transfer my WI registration to a WV reg & title.

I like the Nova's windscreen. Hope it polishes/buffs out good....

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

windscreen is good looking, it also seems to have a bit of a tint to it.

if all else fails I'll get another donor glasser for a 3 piece like I did on my jet :D

I lucked out with the sheriff inspection, the guy I bought it from already had one by a officer only a few miles away.

It saved me a ton of time :D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

NICE!!!!

I see her bright canary yellow for some reason
Great score!

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

And I found that thread with the nova that was bright yellow... can't find it now though.

I saved the pictures on my work computer though, it actually had an interrior :p

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

a few more pictures
DSCF0152.jpg

DSCF0155.jpg

DSCF0156.jpg

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Also the 80hp engine has power tilt, no clue if it works, but the lines are all disconnected

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Might be the same boat, but I found one that had more detail on the seats, dash, and rear bench.

Dash was one thing I could not figure out, but there is a piece of trim that goes up there, something I will have to figure out later :)

and thats a good looking boat there!

I wish this one had less dents :p

64osby

Admiral

Gibbles, I love the lines on the Nova's. Sounds like you found a nice puzzle.

Before I picked up the Mariner I was looking at an 18' I/O Nova. Found some old pics in my email
Starcraft Nova.jpgStarcraft Nova 2.jpgStarcraft Nova 3.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Man,
Please commit to letting us see this completed w/ splash photos....

Read the 2 yellow Nova threads you all posted, and another 1 that was listed as similar, all three were great looking Nova's w/ various problems, no finished projects. The 1 was a good runner (Ole' Tin Can) but seemed to have some water in the bilge & trailer rash on the starboard hull.....

All 3 looked GREAT yellow! Even w/ the 70's brown (????) accent strip.... That might have to go...

I've got serious boat envy. And I am neither an SC or Tinny guy........ That outboard 16 (or was it the 18') had fantastic lines! Based on those, it seems this 'should' or may have had a light smoke tint windshield. Might go w/ a different tint on a blk & wht boat, but looked killer on the yellow.......No bright & shiny w/ the yellow though:eek: Except maybe the transom...

Fantastic score! Like I needed another reason to go back to SLC. It's raining tinny deals out there this year!

We're big Cal&Hobs fans too!

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

I grew up reading calvin and hobbes, First with my father reading it to me...
and I wore out my old wagon going up and down the hill. :p

That picture makes me think of my "happy place" no matter what it may morph into over the years :)

And since no other rebuild threads are on here for the nova, I have no choice but to actually take lots of pictures through this.

I skimped big time on the jetstar, so now I guess I have to make up for it.

This rebuild will go much slower, first I have the jetstar almost ready to rock, so I'm not in much of a hurry with the nova.
Other than my need to not have something half built taking up part of my pad in the backyard ;)

I'll take more pictures tomorrow, and I have to get a coating of epoxy on the remaining pieces for the jetstar tomorrow also.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Gibbles, I love the lines on the Nova's. Sounds like you found a nice puzzle.

Before I picked up the Mariner I was looking at an 18' I/O Nova. Found some old pics in my email
View attachment 129541View attachment 129542View attachment 129540

Thanks!

I will take any pictures anybody can find, alot of questions in this pile

and one of my transom corner caps is missing a chunk out of it.

I saw new ones on ebay but they were a bit pricy...

jbcurt00

Staff member

and one of my transom corner caps is missing a chunk out of it. I saw new ones on ebay but they were a bit pricy...

That spot along the transom outside corner of the starboard rear cap? Is that something that could have a new pc welded in, & maybe finished to a brushed AL look to 'hide' the repair?