Tachometer goes on and off

Jerkalip

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1998 115 HP Johnson. My tach usually starts reading immediately after starting, then goes off after about 3 minutes. I took it out of the dash and put new connections on the two wires (I guess + and -), I pulled the plug-in with the 6 (?) wires out and reinstalled, then I went to the motor and checked the connection there also. I did disconnect the positive battery cable while doing all of this. After starting it again, it did not work at first, then it came on; after 3 minutes went off; then stayed on for a good while until I finally killed the engine. The power to the tach does stay on because I could see the light was on the whole time, even when it was not reading RPM's. Where is the problem? Thanks for any advice.

86 century

Ensign
Re: Tachometer goes on and off

when it goes off does your voltage gauge fall off any.(if you have one)

I had the same thing happen with a 96 omc turbojet(115hp v4 crossflow) ended up being the voltage regulator.
The things get the tac signal from the charging side of the stator.

Hope this helps

Jerkalip

Seaman Apprentice

Didn't look at the volt meter. Got rain today, so will have to check later. I have the "bubble back 115 cross flow". I noticed a grey wire hanging on the wires attached to the plug in. Is that wire suppose to be attached? Where? Thanks

SparkieBoat

Captain

you will need a DVA adapter to properly test your regulator...links you need are in my sig below.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just because the light in the gauge is on does not mean the guage is getting power. On most boats the gauge lights come on with NAV/ANCHOR switch. Some do however get powered when the ignition is on so what you saw still is not proof the gauge is being powered. The light terminal on the gauge is fed by a separate wire than the +12 volt terminal that powers the tach circuitry. The only way you can be sure the tach is being powered when the key is on is to measure the voltage between the "I" and ground terminals on the gauge with the key on. The engine doesn't have to be running.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

A gray wire is usually (always has been) the sending unit (sensor) lead that would be attached to the "S" (sensor) terminal of the tachometer.

To check to see if the tachometer is faulty, see the following:

(Testing Tachometer With Water Cooled Regulator/Rectifier)
(J. Reeves)

A quick check is to simply plug in a another new tachometer as a piece of test equipment. If the new tach works properly and the old tach didn't, obviously the old tach is faulty.... but usually boaters don't carry around a spare tach (see below).

A faulty rectifier wouldn't damage the tachometer, the tachometer simply wouldn't work. This is due to the fact that the tachometer operates off of the charging system and the rectifier converts AC voltage to DC voltage, enabling the charging system. A faulty rectifier disables the charging system, and the tachometer simply doesn't register.

However.... those water cooled regulator/rectifiers that are used on the 35 ampere charging systems (and some others) bring into play a different type problem, and as you've probably found out, they are really a pain to troubleshoot via the proper procedure. There's an easier way.

The tachometer sending/receiving setup operates off of the gray wire at the tachometer. That same gray wire exists at the engine wiring harness which is connected to the engine electrical terminal strip. You'll see that there is a gray wire leading from the regulator/rectifier to that terminal strip, and that there is another gray wire attached to it. That other gray wire is the wire leading to the tachometer which is the one you're looking for.

NOTE: For the later models that DO NOT incorporate a wiring terminal strip, splicing into the "Yellow Wire" mentioned will be necessary.

Remove that gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.

If neither of the yellow wires from the stator is yellow/gray, and neither is attached to a yellow/gray wire, then attach that gray tachometer wire to either yellow stator wire, then the other yellow wire, checking the tachometer operation on both connections.

I've found this method to be a quick and efficient way of finding out which component is faulty.... the tachometer or the regulator/rectifier. It sounds drawn out but really only takes a very short time to run through. If the water cooled regulator/rectifier proves to be faulty, don't put off replacing it as they have been known to catch on fire with disastrous consequences.

Jerkalip

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the answers. I appreciate your time (to all of you.) Will try to work on it this week, if no luck, will take to a mechanic. Again, thanks very much.

SparkieBoat

Captain

nice Joe, that info will come in real handy. Thanks