Will it fit?

mxcarne

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I am looking to buy a 1991 16ft Lund with 50hp mercury OB $2950 asking price.

I need to store it in my 1 car garage, I just ran out and measured and garage door is 7.5ft across and garage is about 19ft long. Will it fit? I plan on bringing a tape measure but if anyone can provide some insight, that would be awesome.

Also with boat, power trim does not work. The seller said it worked when he parked it at end of last summer, now it is not getting power. Any ideas?

And I plan on hauling it with my 2008 Ford ranger 4cl 5spd 2x4. My dad seems to think it would be ok, and seller as well. Again just looking for some reassurance.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Will it fit?

Yes, it will PROBABLY fit, although you will have to tilt the motor down, and may have to angle the tongue a little. Worse case, you install a folding tongue kit.

power tilt... 9 times out of 10 in that situation, if the seller is telling the truth, is that there are another pair of wires that need to get hooked up to the battery for tilt/trim. Chances are they weren't marked last fall when he took the battery out, and now they have wandered somewhere down into the bilge. on older boats, its always good practice to hook the pairs of wires together as you take them off the battery. (I like a wire tie through the ring terminals) That way there is no chance of missing one, or hooking one up backwards next year.

ranger for that boat, no prob... 2x4 means you have to be a little careful on ramps, if you find yourself on a really slick, steep, algae covered chunk of cement, it might do nothing but spin. Just toss a tow-rope in for the one time in a couple hundred you might need it.

Seems a little steep on the price though, especially for off season?

Bondo

Staff member

Also with boat, power trim does not work. The seller said it worked when he parked it at end of last summer, now it is not getting power. Any ideas?

Ayuh,... Probably corroded wiring ends,...
Start at the battery, 'n work yer way to the Problem....

mxcarne

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, it will PROBABLY fit, although you will have to tilt the motor down, and may have to angle the tongue a little. Worse case, you install a folding tongue kit.

power tilt... 9 times out of 10 in that situation, if the seller is telling the truth, is that there are another pair of wires that need to get hooked up to the battery for tilt/trim. Chances are they weren't marked last fall when he took the battery out, and now they have wandered somewhere down into the bilge. on older boats, its always good practice to hook the pairs of wires together as you take them off the battery. (I like a wire tie through the ring terminals) That way there is no chance of missing one, or hooking one up backwards next year.

ranger for that boat, no prob... 2x4 means you have to be a little careful on ramps, if you find yourself on a really slick, steep, algae covered chunk of cement, it might do nothing but spin. Just toss a tow-rope in for the one time in a couple hundred you might need it.

Seems a little steep on the price though, especially for off season?

Awesome, I love you guys here, this helps me considerably.

Price is negotiable I believe, it is off season here in CO. I don't think i would be able to touch water until march anyhow. I do like to haggle so I may get a decent deal, plus its cash in hand. My dad had same boat just in 14ft w/25hp motor and he paid $3k.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Sounds pretty reasonable to me assuming everything else is good to go, and your Ranger will pull it fine.

mxcarne

Seaman Apprentice

Well bad news, after measuring boat and garage again, I had to pass. It would have left me about 3 inches on either side of garage door and about 3" in total length. A little to tight of a fit. :(

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Well bad news, after measuring boat and garage again, I had to pass. It would have left me about 3 inches on either side of garage door and about 3" in total length. A little to tight of a fit. :(

with the engine down and turned to the side? if it was only 3" too long, that would have been an easy fit if you turn the trailer a little sideways after you have it in the garage. (or my other suggestion, a folding tongue kit)

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to hear. As smokingcrater said, a folding tongue kit may have been the way to go.

In my shed i've got about 1.5" left between the hitch and the garage door with the motor trimmed all the way up, but when i drop it, i get another half a foot. I just manage because, i love my boat :p

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

Does it have to be put in the garage? Do you have a cross bar in the roofof your garage. After you unhook the trailer can't you just lift the front of your trailer until it clears. ?put something under the hitch.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

That fit wouldn't have stopped me if the price was right and it was what I was looking for. That rig is light enough that with a dolly wheel on the front it could easily be hand pushed into the garage.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi all, Surely the tongue could be cut. As for the 3+3" clearance on the sides, well it fits and with a jack wheel it could probably be manually wheeled into your garage.