Dual Purpose Batteries, a good idea?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Before boating season this year, I will need to replace one of the two batteries in my boat. I have a deep cycle and a starting battery set up wired through an A/B switch. The deep cycle battery has a bad cell and needs to be replaced. I was at the store the other day checking prices and saw what is labeled a Marine dual purpose battery. Are these batteries effective at a dual purpose, or do they do niether very well?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Dual Purpose Batteries, a good idea?

I have ben using that type for about 15 years and havnt had any problems at all. I do a lot night fishing running lights, bait well pump stereo and so on and dont have any problems. But I do have a percent of charge meter to keep a eye on it.

dwparker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've used dual purpose for starting and for my trolling motor. The key is to buy a battery with enough capacity to ensure you seldom discharge more than 40 to 50 percent. If you regularly discharge below 50 percent, you will get longer life out of a deep cycle. Even with a deep cycle though, the greater the discharge percent the sooner you will be replacing it.

fucawi

Banned

To be honest there is not such thing as a dual purpose battery ...They are just starting batteries ( as are most leisure batteries ) that have dual terminals and a fancy label ..you just pay sufficient money so the maker still makes a profit even if it fails under warantee . There are only thin plate starting batteries with liquid/gelly electrolyte or deep discharge types with thick plates for use in fork lifts etc .
Keep your discharge below 50 % if you want a reasonable life.

dwparker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To be honest there is not such thing as a dual purpose battery ...They are just starting batteries ( as are most leisure batteries ) that have dual terminals and a fancy label ..you just pay sufficient money so the maker still makes a profit even if it fails under warantee . There are only thin plate starting batteries with liquid/gelly electrolyte or deep discharge types with thick plates for use in fork lifts etc .
Keep your discharge below 50 % if you want a reasonable life.

Is this an opinion or do you have facts to back up the statement?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yes I would also be in seeing that

fucawi

Banned

Extraxct from http://www.sterling-power.com/support-faq-2.htm

So, if you are purchasing a battery and it has a cold cranking rating and the salesman says it is a deep cycle battery, but will also start your engine; then it is in fact a starter battery

The brutal truth about marine leisure batteries
There is no such thing as a marine battery. If you see a marine label on a battery it is simply words and may as well say Mickey Mouse.

For cost and performance open lead acid batteries are king. All other batteries are a derivative of this, with variations to suit different markets, where there are specific problems implementing the standard lead acid battery. E.g. Gel, is a standard lead acid battery except that the acid has been transformed into gel. But by solidifying the electrolyte, you introduce many problems not associated with free flowing water based batteries.

“Most expensive is best” This is so not even close to being true. In fact I would say the reverse is true in the marine leisure market. When reading all the sales literature regarding Gel/AGM, please note that none of their curves and claims refer to standard lead acid batteries. (They know better). They never claim they have better performance than standard open lead acid, this is just an assumption on your side. They claim weird things including longer shelf life and that you can turn them upside down and have your dinner under them. Who cares? I want fast charging, long life, plus good value for money from my batteries. I don't want to sit and watch them on a shelf for a year and have my dinner under one.

If a statement says that this is the best battery. The question is, best at what aspect?

If the term 'maintenance free', is on a battery, then treat this with caution. There is no such thing as maintenance-free, all batteries are basically the same. A Gel, sealed lead acid and AGM are all only maintenance-free because of the reduced charging performance curves; and not because there is something special about the battery. If you charge a normal lead acid battery to the Gel or AGM curves, then they would not require maintenance either. Remember 'maintenance free' is a handicap to fast charging not an advantage. This feature, which on the surface looks good, is, in most cases the worst feature that you could possibly buy; as this feature dramatically limits the maximum charging characteristics of the battery.

Fast charging costs water, i.e. if you want to charge you batteries fast, don't touch a Sealed/Gel/AGM etc with a barge pole. Fast charging will result in a certain % water loss from the battery. If the battery is sealed the water loss cannot be replaced. REMEMBER FAST CHARGING AND SEALED/MAINTAINCE-FREE ARE A CONTRADICTION OF TERMS. You may not like this, but tough, it's the way it is.

Watch the term leisure / deep cycle as it simply does not exist. The standard, so called, leisure batteries, are simply starter batteries with extra support for the active lead material. This may increase the life by 5 – 10 %, but does not turn a starter battery into a deep cycle battery. True traction (deep cycle) are not available at a sensible price and are uneconomical to use for standard leisure use. However, if you plan to live onboard or travel the world then do look at 6 V or 2 V traction and build your battery bank up from those batteries, but expect to pay about 3 – 6 times the price of so called standard leisure batteries. On a daily use cycle, the standard so called leisure battery (which is a starter battery) will last you as little as 6 – 8 months whereas traction would last 15 years. But on a leisure rating (2 weekends per month and about 4 weeks’ holiday) then you would get about 5 – 7 years out of a standard leisure. That's if you charge it right using advanced regulators and constant current battery chargers).

Battery sales companies quote battery cycles such as 6000 cycles for the battery. This looks good on the surface, however it will be 6000 cycles at say 10% discharge. This is a meaningless figure. All batteries have a manufacturers' graph, which odds are, you will not see in full; as the embarrassing section tends to end up on the advertising company’s editing floor. The graph will have % discharge on one side and cycles on the other. This graph is sometimes shown on glossy battery information, but is normally censored at about 30 – 40% discharge, where the figures can still show 4000 cycles. What they fail to show is the 100% discharge cycle (which they of course say you should never go to and I am not for one moment suggesting you should). This, at the end of the day is the only ultimate datum point. Whichever battery performs the best at 100% discharge, will perform best at 50% etc. The interesting fact is that they are all about the same, that is, because they are all basically the same battery. A Gel and conventional starter battery go down the same production line until one has a gel substance put in it and the other liquid. The shock with this figure is that for Gel, Sealed, or leisure, etc, the constant figure is about 30 – 60 cycles, whereas true traction with thicker plates is over 300+. (However, don't expect to see this graph on glossy literature, as they are way too frightened of this graph and will not release it). It is however available from correctly specked commercial batteries.

dwparker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

fucawi, since you took an extract from an article that has no empirical data and in my opinion full of inaccuracies, I assume your statement was opinion and not fact.

fucawi

Banned

If you look at the full website you will see a very respectable company ......

If you go to a battery factory you will see as they come down the line the label changes not the product ....

First Rule of i boats and life .....never try to tell women or americans anything ..they know everything ,,,end of my contribution to this thread

NYBo

Admiral

No differences among starting, dual purpose, and deep cycle batteries. eh? Why don't I believe that? I guess it must be because I'm an American.:rolleyes:

ready4lake

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will agree with you on one thing. You are right that there is no difference in the materials that make the battery. However, there is a difference in the setup of the materials. You can cut the top off a deep cycle battery and a starting battery an tell. I had a class in school on batteries and we did this. The starting battery will have many thin lead plates which are seperated by a sulfuric acid and water solution as an electrolyte. Thinner and more plates means more surface area for the charge. When it comes to capacitance more surface are means more current(for starting purposes). This will give you short bursts of large energy. Now on the other hand the deep cycle batteries containing the same material have much thicker plates. That means fewer plates and a smaller surface area of the plates that the electorlyte can react with. This gives you a much steadier realease of energy(meaning longer life) and less current. However, when they put a marine sticker on a battery, that most times is just a sticker. It is much like a starting battery except it may have a different electrolyte composition, but it is not always a true deep cycle battery. My class has gave me a great insight on batteries and knowledge to choose the correct battery for the job. I too used to think like you sir, but I will say it was not because I'm an american,but because I don't like to waste money.