Just another "Can I tow it?" thread....or am I going to hate life doing it?

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK....I have to tow an early 1990's 17' Sea Swirl open bow runabout w/a 3.0L Mercruiser I/O from Milwaukee, WI to Cape Cod with a 2004 Nissan Murano w/AWD.

The boat as it sits right now, with empty gas tank and drained engine, weighs in at around 2400# and the Murano has a rated tow capacity of 3500#. The Murano has already towed a trailer that had a loaded weight of 1200#, and it did quite well with that. The Murano will be essentially empty sans myself and about 150# or so of junk...comforter, tool box, etc.

Discounting the weather, which will be another story as I'm a Southern boy with little snow driving experience (only what I gained when I lived in NJ/MA/NOVA during the 1970's), am I going to absolutely hate life pulling the boat back to Cape Cod, or am I just nuts?

(As to the inevitable question as to WHY am I doing this?, the answer is I got such a good deal on the boat that, even with the cost of gas making the round trip from the Cape to Milwaukee and back, I can flip the boat this spring for a nice profit.)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Just another "Can I tow it?" thread....or am I going to hate life doing it?

no offense... but DUH

you are WELL under the rated capacity.... It's a no brainer, you'll be FINE.... RELAX :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't do it this weekend.

Gonna get nasty in brew town, and it usually moves east from there.

Definitely get off the road if the roads get slick.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

dbl post

tpenfield

Staff member

How long have you lived on Cape Cod?

You did not mention the weight of the trailer (I assume), but it should be within the rating of the vehicle. Sooo, it is more a matter of your skills in handling any weather that comes your way. I would also recommend lower speed, since your vehicle is on the lighter side, versus bigger SUV's, etc.

May the 'force' be with you.

I never like going over the bridge to get to 'the Cape', the lanes are too narrow.

etracer68

Ensign

The white stuff will hit the Milwaukee area friday, and continue east. No fun pulling anything in the snow. If you pull out early today, you might me able to stay ahead of it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Should be OK towing but as said the weather could be your worst enemy. One word about the towing though. It could be wise to stay out of overdrive if it is shifting in and out a lot when cruising on the highway. A little extra gas is far less expensive than a new transmission.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't do it this weekend.

Gonna get nasty in brew town, and it usually moves east from there.

Definitely get off the road if the roads get slick.

And that's part of my problem. Being a southerner, I've rarely driven in snow outside the times I lived in MA/NJ/DC areas during the 1970's. But horrible as it may be, I'm sort of locked in to picking it up Saturday. So, guess I'll just learn to love snow.....yech!!!

How long have you lived on Cape Cod?

You did not mention the weight of the trailer (I assume), but it should be within the rating of the vehicle. Sooo, it is more a matter of your skills in handling any weather that comes your way. I would also recommend lower speed, since your vehicle is on the lighter side, versus bigger SUV's, etc.

May the 'force' be with you.

I never like going over the bridge to get to 'the Cape', the lanes are too narrow.

Been on the Cape a whole 2 1/2 months now. Sort of a forced move up here from GA. Wife's father, who was widowed 9 months ago, suffered a rather severe heart attack back in August, wasn't expected to survive. But he did....albeit at a greatly diminished capacity. So, given that, the medical authorities wouldn't allow him to return home without live in care...that or move into a nursing home. And they were correct. Now, 5 months post MI, he's still nowhere near the way he was prior to it and wouldn't be able to live alone.

So, we moved up to care for him. Honestly, it wasn't my first idea, but it is sort of working out. And we'd rather put up with Cape Cod than lose his 4 acres of land in Wellfleet to the state, which would surely happen if he went into a nsg. home.

As for the bridges, that was my first comment when I came across them for the first time. What were they thinking? Damn lanes are barely wide enough for a soap box derby racer, much less trying to cross with a semi-trailer next to you. Sheesh!

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

The weather may slow you down, but you should be fine. You might want to get an insurance policy on the boat before you leave, just in case.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Should be OK towing but as said the weather could be your worst enemy. One word about the towing though. It could be wise to stay out of overdrive if it is shifting in and out a lot when cruising on the highway. A little extra gas is far less expensive than a new transmission.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.

This vehicles transmission is not your average bear. It is a CVT transmission which will either automatically control the pulley ratio in drive, or can be manually controlled with 6 "gear" positions.
That being said, CVT transmissions are not forgiving to being overloaded. I would probably keep it in drive (the TCM will be the best judge of how to keep the transmission from fragging), and Tow cautiously!

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

From Friday night to Saturday afternoon is no time to be on I90 from Cleveland, O. to Buffalo, NY. We have a regular snow coming and the lake effect snow snowbelt (Clev. to Buff) will be over a foot. A few years ago we had to stay in PA. coming back from snowmobiling in Quebec. That's with a 4x4 F150 and a 2 place trailer. It was a total whiteout and over a foot of snow in a hurrry.

The turnpikes, Ohio and PA. take care of the snow much better than the Interstates, so look at the lower route if your going to be in the snowbelt Friday night on. A little longer and the mountains in PA. are no fun, but the snow will be less and the equipment to take care of the snow is much better.

Good luck
huts

Thalasso

Commander

Go for it. You will be just fine.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You may want to drop down out of Chicago and take U.S. 30 will put you in Geetysburg if taken that far. 4 lane through Ohio not real bad road.

phonfish

Cadet

If it is any consulation, we don't drive any better down here in Hampton Roads.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't think you can do 75-80mph pulling the boat. Keep it to 60mph or lower in good conditions, if it's snowing and blowing, slow right down, there is no way in hell that you will be able to stop quickly on snow or ice. Take your time, you'll be fine.

NYBo

Admiral

IMO, you should absolutely avoid the snow, given your experience with the stuff, much less with throwing a trailer into the mix. Additionally the tires on the Murano need to be appropriate for snow, just in case when you decide to go there is an unexpected storm.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

This vehicles transmission is not your average bear. It is a CVT transmission which will either automatically control the pulley ratio in drive, or can be manually controlled with 6 "gear" positions.
That being said, CVT transmissions are not forgiving to being overloaded. I would probably keep it in drive (the TCM will be the best judge of how to keep the transmission from fragging), and Tow cautiously!

Either way kicking it up and down whatever gears it chooses constantly on minor inclines etc will still create heat and that's what generally kills transmissions. Don't matter how "special" the tranny is.
Just my opinion though.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Either way kicking it up and down whatever gears it chooses constantly on minor inclines etc will still create heat and that's what generally kills transmissions. Don't matter how "special" the tranny is.
Just my opinion though.

Can't really classify this one as special, more like completely different. Not a bunch of clutch packs and bands to burn up, and no actual individual gears (other than reverse and manual mode that simulates gears). Just a big belt and a set of planetary gears for reverse. I believe this vehicle does not have an over drive button or shifter position. If he leaves it in drive, it being a CVT transmission should theoretically find the right pulley ratio quickly. ;)

tpenfield

Staff member

So, we moved up to care for him. Honestly, it wasn't my first idea, but it is sort of working out. And we'd rather put up with Cape Cod than lose his 4 acres of land in Wellfleet to the state, which would surely happen if he went into a nsg. home.

You are good Samaritans for helping out. I'm going through something similar, but did not have to move.

4 acres . . . any beach front? you could sell some & retire :)