Carb mounting screws on manifold

juice69

Seaman Apprentice
OK, so how do I remove these 4 studs/screws on the manifold to hold the carburator? New manifold didn't come with new ones, and i can't even find the part number (2004 mercruiser 3.0L 0W03140). So how do get these out to re-use?

juice69

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Carb mounting screws on manifold

Having trouble uploading pic. The studs I'm referring to are the 4 that screw into the top of the manifold to hold (bolt) the carb.

photo.JPG

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have to double nut them. I don't know if that is the proper term but put two nuts on the stud and turn them against eachother until they are tight against each other. The turn the bottom nut counter clockwise and the stud should come out. Re install in the new manifold using the same method, just tighten using the top nut.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't know where you're at, but double ended machine thread bolts like that are available virtually everywhere. I've seen a plethora of them at places like Menards, Lowes, TSC, AutoZone, Napa etc. Just put a pair of needle nose vice grips on them at the middle portion where there is no thread to damage and voila!

juice69

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help. Certainly didn't want to break them, nor did I want to put the "wrong" non-boat ones in.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the help. Certainly didn't want to break them, nor did I want to put the "wrong" non-boat ones in.
There are no "boat" studs, a stud is a stud, available at any automotive supply store. Or you can buy them from a marine dealer for 3 times the price.

etracer68

Ensign

Most carb studs are 5/16-24 top thread, and 5/16-18 bottom thread. You can use threaded rod, and cut to suit too. Take two of the nuts that came off, and jam nut them together, and remove. If you use threaded rod, you might want to use some lock-tight(blue).

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Most carb studs are 1/4-28 top thread, and 1/4-20 bottom thread. You can use threaded rod, and cut to suit too. Take two of the nuts that came off, and jam nut them together, and remove. If you use threaded rod, you might want to use some lock-tight(blue).

Ayuh,... I'd sooner think they're 5/16", or 3/8"....

etracer68

Ensign

I was to slow editing my post. Your right Bond-o