1996 Mercury 115hp-How to bypass the oil pump

mac_in_mt

Cadet
I would like to bypass the oil pump and mix my own oil into the gas tank. Are there any descriptions out there on how to bypass the oil pump? I have seen two other similar motors ruined because the oil pump quit working.

Thanks,
mac

brandon110

Seaman
Re: 1996 Mercury 115hp-How to bypass the oil pump

i guessing the motors you have seen ruined where V-6 2 strokes. they had an issue with the brass bushing that inserted into the powerhead wearing out or coming loose i cant remember what but they where failing causing the oil pump to fail. all you wold really have to to is remove the pump make up some kind of cover with a gasket drian all the carbs and fill with mixed gas and off you go. the only thing i can think of is if there is a line coming off the oil pump that feeds something like a main bearing or piston skirt. but if its just mixing the oil into the fuel line not really a big deal. id never do it on a customer boat but its yours and if you really worried about it failing which is very very uncommon those pumps are bullet proof then might as well try it.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1996 Mercury 115hp-How to bypass the oil pump

Here is what I do with the smaller merc's.. take the hose off the oil pump that goes into the fuel line going to the carbs...I drill a small hole in the top of the oil tank, put a small gromet and run the hose to the tank..this way the pump is just being used as a recycling pump. I thank pre-mix..will never have an oil problem and can always put it back when I sell my motors.. I will plug the small hole that I created in the top of oil tank..just my 02.