1976 Evinrude 85hp Lower Unit Cooling and Installation

1976evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well I finally found a replacement lower unit for my 1976 evinrude 85hp and need help with the installation and water pump/thermostat. My questions are before I install the lower unit I found I would like to make sure the cooling system on it is functioning properly. I already ordered the water pump rebuild kit , but my concern is the thermostats if it even has one. How would I go about servicing them, where are they? Any pics would be great!
My other question is when installing the new lower unit are there any gaskets or seals that I need to replace? Or can I pop the lower unit off the parts motor and just pop it back onto my motor without any sealing or gaskets todo?

Thanks so much!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 Evinrude 85hp Lower Unit Cooling and Installation

You can benefit from an on-line exploded factory parts diagram. Check out epc.brp.com, then look for your year/model. Your engine has a single thermostat-called a vernatherm. It is located at the back of the powerhead just below the exhaust cover, between the two heads. It's good to replace that vernatherm every to often, so you are doing the right thing. The lower unit itself does not have a gasket between it and the bottom of the midsection. You'll see that in the parts diagram. Once you get the lower unit unbolted (make sure you get the bolts under/by the trim tab,) you will have to disconnect the shift rod. That shift rod connects to the bellcrank in the lower cowling, just under the bottom carb. You'll need to open the jaws of the belcrank in order to release the shift rod-then the lower should just fall out of the midsection. That shift rod must be a specific height in order for the lower unit to shift properly. It screws into the lower unit-make sure you don't move (screw in/out) that rod during your pump replacement procedure.

1976evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks so much, the vernatherm I thought was on the lower unit but it now sounds like its right behind the power head where the two cooling hoses attach? Correct? Is the vernatherm an easy replacement?
Thanks!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I'd say the vernatherm replacement on this year is a lot easier than from 1977 forward.