Cracked engine block

HDSG06

Cadet
Can block be repaired and be relieable if not will a reguler auto 302 block work.I have a 5.0 volvo/penta

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cracked engine block

Howdy,

There are companies that specialize in "fixing" cracked cast iron engine blocks. It's very common and they usually guarantee their work. It usually takes someone that can do metal "stitching" or (properly) weld cast iron.

Regards,

Rick

HDSG06

Cadet

Motor has also developed a miss,What outher ways can i get water in oil.Im just trying to determand where to start

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Cracks can be repaired. I had a nice size crank in the lifter valley on my 383 (350 block) in my car and I ended up stripping the engine to the shortblock and taking it in to the shop who built the engine a few years back. They drilled and pinned the crack. 30K miles later its still in perfect shape!

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Might be cheaper, and less of a hassle, to buy a new block from someone like Rapido or similar...

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like the perfect time to justify a 351W replacement.

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're getting water in the oil, its quite likely cracked somewhere that can't be fixed. I'd replace the engine. Blocks are blocks basically, but you'll need the proper marine cam, gaskets, and freeze plugs to make this work. Another point of note, Ford engines from 1986 onward are roller cam engines. They will work with a flat tappet cam, but if your current camshaft is a roller cam, you must get an 86+ block for it to work in.

And while you can upgrade to a 351, those have a taller deck height, which means they are wider and taller. Different intake is required on a 351, and the exhaust probably won't mate up properly either. If this is an EFI motor, you'll also have to deal with the ECM needing to be re-programmed.

Before you get into replacing the block though, are you sure its cracked? Bad manifolds and risers can cause water to get into the oil. Pull the manifolds and look for signs of water in the exhaust ports. Rotted out intake manifolds can do this too, but its somewhat less common. Intake does have to come off for teardown purposes though, so its worth a look.

HDSG06

Cadet

Are they any way to test block to be sure its cracked,And where else can i get water in oil outher than cracked block

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

HDG do a cooling system pressure test. Isolate the manifolds, disconnect the water intake tube going to the thermostat housing and put 5psi into the thermostat housing. Listen for leaks.

gettin'even

Petty Officer 3rd Class

302 blocks (both non-roller and roller types) are readily available. I would find it hard to believe that repairing said blocks is a cheaper/better alternative to replacing it.

WizeOne

Commander

302 blocks (both non-roller and roller types) are readily available. I would find it hard to believe that repairing said blocks is a cheaper/better alternative to replacing it.

Absolutamente! It's broke, fix it right. Any other way will lead to trouble in the near future. Every time you go out, if it worked at all, you'd be wondering, will it hold? And you'd be right to feel that way because chances are, it won't. It would fail. Maybe not today, but tomorrow for sure.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Merc uses 351 cam and heads. Maybe Volvo does, too. The firing order will tell what cam.

The 351(ford) is a superior marine engine that the 350(GM) IMO.

There's a chance you're getting water in the engine from a loose intake manifold...BUT, if it's not the intake...you need a new block. Go with the 351. Free power.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The 351(ford) is a superior marine engine that the 350(GM) IMO.
Except for the fact that is is an unsupported marine engine. Marine parts, especially manifolds, are going to become harder to come by.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

...and PCM still uses the 351. It used to be a very common marine engine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The Mercruiser 888 engine came with 351W heads. Manifolds are all over the place.

Not for Volvo's they aren't and that is what this thread is regarding if I am not mistaken.