Pontoon Trailer Lights

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice
I thought of posting this in the trailer and towing forum, but thought it to be specific to pontoons than all trailers, so I figgured I'd post here. I am sure that if I am wrong a moderator would move it to the appropriate forum.

At any rate, the trailer for my pontoon boat is about six feet shorter than the boat. The trailer light is mounted on a cross frame by the axle. In order to see the light, you need to be almost directly behind the trailer as the logs do shield the light from the side. Also, everytime the trailer is put into the water, the lights are underwater. (see 4th picture).

I made a trip to my local store and purchased two new, led tralerlights with harness, then to a farm implement store and purchased a five pin wire connection device. I mounted the lights on the stern of the pontoon in a position I thought would be out of the way for boating activites, but visible to the general public when towing the 'toon. I then mounted the wire connector on the pontoon, and spliced the new wires into the existing wiring harness at the trailer tounge. Below is a series of photos showing the lights position and the wiring device. I simply plug/unplug the wires at the connection and I am good to go. The only way the lights would be underwater is if I sink the boat. LOL

Attachments

• S7301525.jpg
    S7301525.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
  • S7301522.jpg
    S7301522.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 0
  • S7301523.jpg
    S7301523.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0
  • S7301524.jpg
    S7301524.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 0

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Pontoon Trailer Lights

Okay L.A, I see now why you're having trouble devising a way to tie her down in the back. Do you plan to tow that rig regularly, or will you be keeping the boat in or close to the water somewhere?

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice

Incoop, us poor people have to trailer our boats all the time. I'm not really hurting as I do have two other boats I can fish out of if I need to trailer them for a distance. About the fatherest I'd trailer this rig is roughly 100 miles on mostly secondary roads. LOL

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where in Oklahoma are you? What lake do you frequent?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you still have trailer lights if the toon isn't on the trailer? I didn't see a licence plate. I know some states don't require them.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Incoop, us poor people have to trailer our boats all the time. I'm not really hurting as I do have two other boats I can fish out of if I need to trailer them for a distance. About the fatherest I'd trailer this rig is roughly 100 miles on mostly secondary roads. LOL

Umm, this poor boy trailers his rig too.;) By the time we get home from the lake I feel really poor.:facepalm:

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

In Oklahoma you have to have trailer lights IF you cannot see your vehicles tail lights. You also don't need a license plate on most trailers in Oklahoma except for commercial use and also some of the larger RV's.

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, that is the way it is... but my personal belief's is that is a darn silly fool who will tow a trailer on a secondary or interstate road without lights. Just because the law says you don't have to is no reason why a person should forfeit safety just to save a few dollars. Just lucky I'm not the one in charge, cause there darn sure would be a change in the law and it would be enforced. Just two weeks ago we had two men killed on the interstate because a trailer in front of them was not marked.

I'm in central Oklahoma, in the little tourist trap of Guthrie. For just pleasure fishing I trailer about 12 miles to Arcadia Lake, and if I'm in a serious mood I go to Kaw Lake (90 miles north) or to Keystone Lake (93 miles to the Norheast. I spend quite a few dollars on my love of fishing, but haven't kept a fish is about 24 years. Quite frankly, they smell. LOL

Jeep Man

Commander

I would like to see a side view of that rig. It just doesn't sound right .....or safe. How is your tongue weight? More pics please.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, that is the way it is... but my personal belief's is that is a darn silly fool who will tow a trailer on a secondary or interstate road without lights. Just because the law says you don't have to is no reason why a person should forfeit safety just to save a few dollars. Just lucky I'm not the one in charge, cause there darn sure would be a change in the law and it would be enforced. Just two weeks ago we had two men killed on the interstate because a trailer in front of them was not marked.

I'm in central Oklahoma, in the little tourist trap of Guthrie. For just pleasure fishing I trailer about 12 miles to Arcadia Lake, and if I'm in a serious mood I go to Kaw Lake (90 miles north) or to Keystone Lake (93 miles to the Norheast. I spend quite a few dollars on my love of fishing, but haven't kept a fish is about 24 years. Quite frankly, they smell. LOL

Well sounds like you are about 30 minutes away from me. I'm over the the southwest side of OKC and when I saw the sticker and on the motor I realized you were in Oklahoma. I mostly go to Ft Cobb and Murray but I try to make it out to Eufaula at least once a year.

I've never been to Arcadia for boating, just been out that away to go to Pops, how is that lake for just boating around?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I first thought that you could just order a set of those magnetic tail/turning lights from Harbor Freight Tools.

Then, I realized there's nothing that magnets will stick to on a pontoon boat.

What you have works.