is the iboats parts search engine crashing anyone else's browser?

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer
yes, I'm using internet explorer 7 here at work. no, I cannot upgrade it. you can talk to uncle sam for me because its his computer not mine...

anyway, I can pretty much go anywhere online I want that isnt blocked by the filters and type in search boxes. for some reason only here on iboats in the parts search...or even when clicking around in the headers in the parts search, it will just close all my browser windows. anyone have a clue or can tip a site admin off to this?

yes, I'd use my home pc but its broken right now and my kindle is kinda quirky with parts sites like iboats. though I did confirm on it that I can indeed put in the part number and successfully search and click headers.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: is the iboats parts search engine crashing anyone else's browser?

I will let Admin know about this, stackz. I think there are a bunch of things IE7 can't do with this software.

Good luck. :)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Happens to me every time I click on the prop selection area. It happens in other areas too, but I tried to buy a prop with no luck.

bassman284

Commander

Yeah, it's pretty interesting actually. The first click on any of the categories goes OK, but you click on anything on the resulting page and bang! IE7 is gone. I haven't seen any reports of problems with any other browsers and IE8 on my laptop does just fine.

Chonguey2

Cadet

Hello all!

I am the iboats programmer for our propellers section of the website and I am trying to get to the bottom of this issue ASAP.

Just to clarify, which page is it that you are on when the browser crashes? Please copy the URL from the address bar into your reply so I can diagnose the actual page in question. It should look like "http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Accessories/dm/" or something similar.

Also, is every one who is experiencing the issue on Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP? Is anyone having the issue on a different browser? Or a different operating system? Do you have any toolbars or browser add-ons installed that you are aware of?

Again, I am looking into the issue right now and am trying to get a better idea of what, exactly, is happening.

stackz

I am on winXP pro 2002 edition sp3 and IE7.

I will update my response as I cut/paste the URLs as I know it will crash on me a couple times haha. I will post two edits to this response.

edit 1: http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Accessories/dm/

I type into the search bar on the left the following: "18-7750" which is for a carb rebuild kit and when I click the search spyglass, IE (all windows I have open) immediately closes.

edit 2: http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Motor-Parts/dm/view_id.268604

when I am on this page if I try to click the mercury outboard parts subheading...or even just click the upper left browser "back button"...IE7 immediately closes.

I got tired of even trying to search parts after that and posted this question.

Chonguey2

Cadet

We are still looking in to the problem, and don't have anything definitive yet, but there is a possibility the issue is caused by a bug in older versions of Windows. This is a bug which Microsoft is aware of and has fixed. More info on this bug can be viewed here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935544

If you are in an office with an IT department, please follow up with your IT manager and have them check the settings detailed in the above article. It may in fact be what is causing the problem. If you follow Microsoft's instructions and it fixes the problem, please let us know.

If it does not fix the problem, please let us know as well. We can safely eliminate this as the potential culprit and we will continue looking in to other possible solutions.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I'm running Windows XP with no problems....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

fire fox is good....no glitches i can see

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's only an Internet Explorer 7 problem guys. Not an operating system or other browser problem, just IE7. There are a couple of spots in the forum that don't work or don't work right with IE7, and it's being looked into. No need to list what does work.

bassman284

Commander

IE7 on XP home.

It's not just the propeller section, it's any selection after you click Boat Parts & Accessories. Example below:

http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Motor-Parts/dm/view_id.268604

I've also crashed it on lifejackets, manuals and tops to name a few. A few times I got the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem..." box, but usually IE just disappears. I'll give the hotfix a try and see what happens. I've gotten all available updates so it sounds like should have already gotten the fix but we'll see.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Its a known fact that Vbulletin version 4.0 & 4.1.9 does not play well with IE 6 & 7.

Why you people don't update to a newer IE has me scratching my head !!. :facepalm:

Update to IE8 or IE9 !!!!!!!!!!. Problem solved. :)

Here's the link. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie/home

Can't do it, company laptop, plus this is the only shopping site it has ever done it on.

Summer Fun

Banned

There's no harm in updating to a newer IE browsers. :)

Have you try to ??. Go to Help then click on About IE then update it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Strictly forbidden to make any changes, updates, or downloads, these can only be done by the IT department, which is 2,500 miles away.

This problem just started recently, and only on this site.

Summer Fun

Banned

Then your company should Sh*tcan that IT team. :facepalm:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

On still wondering what you're doing on the iboats site using the taxpayers computer. Suppose you're on the clock too.

There, problem solved.

stackz

Then your company should Sh*tcan that IT team. :facepalm:

lol. reason I'm still on IE7 is due to the way the various programs we have to use interface security-wise and software-wise. the govt is VERY slow to update as when they did in the past without COMPLETELY checking everything...stuff would crash mercilessly and productivity would go to the crapper. the secretary of health doesnt take kindly to that haha.

as for the fix posted by the admin up above. I'd love to try that but if I honestly contacted IT asking them to make those changes, they'd ask why. I cant think of an excuse I could demonstrate for them why I needed those changes. then they would get curious and log remotely into my computer and see that I'm on an outside site that has nothing to do with work and I'd end up written up lol.

On still wondering what you're doing on the iboats site using the taxpayers computer. Suppose you're on the clock too.

There, problem solved.

mainly because I browse around online when I'm having my morning coffee getting into work mode. or when I'm at lunch (I'll sit at the desk and eat and browse) or when I'm on my two 15 minute breaks. And then there's the times when there is literally nothing in my inbox (yeah, I'm that awesome) so I'd rather get some stuff done (like search for parts for my boat) instead of picking away at the sheetrock in the wall of my office.

Chonguey2

Cadet

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

I understand how easy it is for someone to simply suggest using a better, newer browser, but we understand that a lot of people don't have that option. Also, iboats.com SHOULD work nearly identically on all browsers going back to Internet Explorer 6. As programmers, it is our goal to make sure the website is usable by the largest number of people using every possible browser, no matter how old or outdated.

That, of course, is easier said than done. We have been trying to reproduce the IE7 crashing bug here in the office, but without any luck so far. The fact that the bug is random in nature and not easily reproduced makes it very difficult to pin down the real culprit.

We appreciate your patience and help in helping us squash this bug. Most likely, it is related to some of the enhancements we added in mid-December for our site redesign. Like all major overhauls, there are bound to be speed bumps along the way. Thanks again for your help pointing out the issues you are having. In the meantime, we apologize for any crashes or troubles you are having using our site.