Need Help Deciding between Larson & Sea Ray

QuietRider21

Seaman
hey, looking to buy my next boat this week and narrowed it down to 2. Planning to use the boat to cruise, occasional fishing and tubing. One is 1998 Larson bowrider with a 150 Mariner and the other is a 1994 Sea Ray 20 cuddy with a 150 merc. What i like about the larson is that its 4 years newer, has a fiberglass floor, and will out-perform the searay since its well over 500lbs lighter. But, I like the fact that the SeaRay seems a little more spacious, is 2' longer, deeper hull and could probably handle rougher water better. The motors are basically the same since the mariner is made by merc. Both hulls are non- bottom painted. Both boats are priced the same. As far as i've read, both sea ray and larsons are well built boats although ive never owned a larson. i dont really have a prefrence between a bowrider or cuddy. Considering theyre both in good running condition, Which would you go with? I really wanna make an offer on one by the end of the week but i cant decide and would really appreciate some opinions. ive attached sample pics. thankss!!

Attachments

• IMG956429.jpg
    IMG956429.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 0
  • sea ray.jpg
    sea ray.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Re: Need Help Deciding between Larson & Sea Ray

Go with the blue one as you already have 2 footits . Depends what you want to haul with ,how far,what lake ? My Choice for what I like to do is 196 Sea Rage CC with little 4cyl 130hp I/O , 4.5hp kicker as I like to drive , fish more than jumping out of it or pulling Orca lures .Besides that one looks fast on trailer !Big Lakes wife and grandkids like under bow to get out of wind /warm . Going to plumb heater core w/12v fan from thermostat housing in cuddy.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

this will depend on price......but the bigger ray will serve you better

in canada....that ray will have a higher re sale value in 3 years.....while the newer larson....will drop off fast.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Didn't read any of the chatter. Having experienced both brands, unless Larson has really come up in the world, Sea Ray, hands down.

My 2c and worth every penny you paid for it.

Mark

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Yup think I'd pick the SeaRay over the Larson. You'll like the lil cuddy. Put a port o pot in there & the missus'll love you for it. Much nicer trailer too.

Yeah still not exactly sure why but SeaRays do seem to hold their value longer. Reckon it's brand recognition more than anything. Well that & there's a freakin gazillion of em around? But don't kid yourself, SeaRay's made their fair share of turds too.

Regardless of your choice give the boat a thorough inspection & be sure to water test before laying any money down.

Philster

Captain

Sea Ray all the way.

Not even a question.

EDIT: Deleted smarmy remarks about Larson boats (Edited by Philster)

tpenfield

Staff member

Sea Ray

QuietRider21

Seaman

great guys. appreciate the input!! i was leaning slightly towards the ray. Now i feel better about it.. however

you guys think the 150 will be enough for that size boat? according to nada, it weighs in at 2450 lbs.. i'm not sure what its max rating is

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

great guys. appreciate the input!! i was leaning slightly towards the ray. Now i feel better about it.. however

you guys think the 150 will be enough for that size boat? according to nada, it weighs in at 2450 lbs.. i'm not sure what its max rating is

Friend had an 18' SR deep V with a 165 inline 6 I/O. It would only pull 2 slaloms with a a couple or so folks in the boat and with no skiers out it would only do 45 mph. Ha! Beins one considered the I/O weight and all, your 150, if propped right should do just fine, unless you want to race. Grin.

Mark

204 Escape

Ensign

I own a LARSON, and I would say Sea Ray. NOTHING against my boat, but as stated it is 2 foot longer, and they hold their re-sale better !!

cyclops2

Banned

Age of the engine ? Pull the motor covers off. Who looks worse with jury rigs or lots of paint off of the engine bolts.

My Chaparral 18 1/2 ' ...AT THE WATER LINE....weighs 3400# with stuff in it. Has a 5.0 L V8 in it. stern drive. 210 hp.

It jumps onplane & is quick to 50 MPH WOT. But the boat is 8' wide. so that does spread the weight out a bit.

Sea Ray if close in equal wear over the years. If you are unsure how to check out a boat. PAY a surveyor from OUT SIDE YOUR LOCAL AREA. Should be more inclined to test Run & check it out more objectivly.

Get lucky. :)

Rich

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Assuming both are mechanically sound...the nod goes to SR. And yes, I'm biased.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I would inspect both boats and decide about them, based on the reports as opposed to "in general" Sea Ray vs Larson. I owned a really nice Larson that had 0 problems, and any boat can be trashed by not taking care of it. If both boats come back acceptable, then you can drill down to your personal needs and which one fits better. Buying a boat because it has great re-sale may not be the best reason to buy it. Buying is fun, just buy the one that you will enjoy the most.

baylake

Seaman

Sea Ray. Just went to the same exercise. The fact is Sea Ray is same price as Larson and 4 yrs older telling you something about its value. Plus 2ft longer is the selling point too.

nlain

Commander

I would go with the SeaRay, I am a little partial but, it has more room, it has the cuddy that can be used for several different things. I will also say the advice about checking both out completely is correct, get the one that is the best one. You can always do the two footitus thing later and buy a bigger boat.

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I own a Larson and would never advise someone to buy one as the build quality is what you would expect from third-world country manufacturing. The fiberglass floor is over plywood - which sits on uncaped plywood stringers and are likely rotted (ask me how I know :mad:).

Sea Ray is a quality boat.

Ben

QuietRider21

Seaman

Sorry to hear that Ben. what year is your boat? i would have thought the Larson decking/floor would be solid fiberglass/composite or whats the point if it still rots out.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It's all anecdotal of course but I have read about far too many fiberglass issues with Larson's on here to consider owning one.

QuietRider21

Seaman

IMO Larson makes some really nice looking boats. Its a shame theres so much negative feedback about them. The one pictured above that i was looking at some issue i just noticed with it. The center walk through windshield will not close. Its about 1" too wide. In other words either the floor/console is sagging(which it doesnt seem to be) or the hull is seriously deformed or has warped over time.