95' Four winns cobra outdrive upper boot question

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class
95' four winns with 5.0 efi engine with cobra outdrive. I've noticed my upper boot in my outdrive got a rip and is leaking old grease mixed with water. I know I need a new boot and to regrease (possibly replace) the joint. What else do I need. I read I will need 6 new nuts to attach the unit back together. Any other seals or parts I should replace when I get into it?

JSMoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 95' Four winns cobra outdrive upper boot question

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, you need to look for something like this. This one might not be exactly the right one for your drive. So, make sure you search for the the one that goes with YOUR drive.

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class

That would be great to get a kit with everything in it. The link is invalid though. Can you possibly update it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Gimbal bearing, ujoints, possibly the yoke in the drive, and a new seal that rides on the yoke. You probably don't need new nuts, they are lock nuts, so if you can't thread them all the way on or off by hand, the lock portion is still good no need to replace.
You also need to change the gear lube in the drive. Probably have water in the lube also.
A new bellows every 5 or 6 years before it gets a hole in it prevents all that unnecessary expense.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would also buy the OEM bellows and not the Sierra brand. Your bellows is the same as the Volvo SX which your drive basically is.