Id 80hp. Mercury

HAS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My brother-in -law gave me a 80hp. blue band Mercury. He don`t know the year or when and how well it ran.
Can anyone help with the year and is there any history of problems with these engines?
THANK YOU .........HAS

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Id 80hp. Mercury

HAS, You may look up teh year of the motor, using the serial number. These are usually on center of the transom bracket. I presume it is a 4 cylinder inline engine? It was a common and successful motor design, sharing a lot of parts with the inline sixes and inline 3s. It was essentially 2/3 of an inline six.

HAS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CHRIS1956
Thanks for the quick answer, this engine is a 4cyl. I have trouble with Mercury serial numbers, but I think it is
a 1972 and I find that hard to believe, the compression is 150 on all cylinders, under the dirty and dusty covers
is an engine that looks new, the black is so clean and shiney I can see reflections in it. Someone has put crimp
terminals on some wires but the wiring is in good shape. The next thing is get a wiring diagram and check for
spark.
THANKS AGAIN ...........HAS

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

Here is a wiring internal diagram for a early 70's 80hp.I have one of these and when tuned right they run really well.Caution ignition parts are exspensive and are becoming harder to find.The wiring internal as well as external the insulation became brittle and fell off after time which can cause alot of problems.Good luck, this is the place to get the answers your looking for

merc 80hp wiring.jpg

cr2k

Captain

Get a can of liquid wire tape or insulation and coat everywhere it's cracked and don't touch or move anything you don't have to. They used some kind of rubber insulation and it get dried and cracks and falls off when moved.