89 - 115 Mercury outboard red wire??

atcra

Seaman
New boat to me...looking at carbs. because motor will not start (with starting fluid sprayed it will) i noticed a red fuse wire just hanging there that is HOT when key is turned on...not sure where it goes. Also you will see a blue wire with white stripe in there also...have no idea where they go or what they are for. Please help!

Attachments

• red wire.JPG
    red wire.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 1

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 89 - 115 Mercury outboard red wire??

That red wire has a fuse holder at its end. It should connect to another red wire with the other half of the fuse holder on it, and then the proper sized fuse placed within he holder. Can't tell from your picture, but where is the red wire coming off the solenoid go to? That should have the other side of the fuse holder on it.

Last edited:

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also, it looks like the wire going between the two solenoids might be broken.

atcra

Seaman

thank you for getting back to my question/issue so quickly...It is a fuse holder but i do not see anything anywhere else that looks like it plugs into it...that is what is stumping me. I just (Saturday) installed a new fuse block under the steering console so i know enough about wires to get shocked every now and then...i do not see the other end! I opened my orginal picture in Paint (full size) and the wire between the solenoids is there and in good shape...it looks bad in the picture i posted..sorry! I just do not see the other end of the red wire and i have no idea what the blue one goes to. Thanks!

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where is that red wire coming off the upper solenoid going to?

Okay, looking at it more closely, it looks like the wire coming off the solenoid and the wire with the fuse connector is one and the same. Look at the main wire harness and see if you find a red wire that is not connected. That red wire should go the the main wire harness that runs up to the control box.

The blu/wht wire looks like a wire for the trim motor.

atcra

Seaman

I will look around alittle bit more for the other end of that fuse line...my trim goes up /down just fine. Thanks for the advice. BTW...the red wire is coming off the of top solenoid. Thanks again.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The maxrules website may have a wiring diaghram for that motor. You should be able to trace it out. Maybe it is part of the charging system?

atcra

Seaman

thank you sir...will check now.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

try going to the following site for wiring specs.

http://1manual.com/Mercury

You should be able to find a wiring spec. for your motor there.

Best of Boating
Oldman570