does the toggle switch on the remote controle need to be on or off 1985 Mariner 115

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer
On my remote control there is a switch with a orange lead coming off looks like you clip it on the driver. Is that the kill switch? There is also a toggle switch on the aft end of the housing. What is that and should that be in the on position or off? The first mentioned switch, I pulled that lead and it came off the switch and the white cap and spring that the lead held in came flying out so I took the switch out and to bypass it should the two blue wires be tied together or separated? I just picked up this rig yesterday and am not getting any spark to hear it run. It cranks over great. I'm thinking its got something to do with one of those two switches. I posted last night about hooking up wires in the battery compartment but no reply and really how could anyone reply without seeing it. It's a nice looking motor and great compression at 120 or so on all cyl cold.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: does the toggle switch on the remote controle need to be on or off 1985 Mariner 1

Don't bypass the lanyard switch it's there to kill the motor in case you fall overboard ! The switch on the rear is to energize the choke

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer
Re: does the toggle switch on the remote controle need to be on or off 1985 Mariner 1

so the toggle switch should be on. and the boat is all tore up and not worth fixing so about the lanyard switch in the mean time do I hook the two wires together or leave them apart. Thanks, Chris

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The original kill switch toggle is open(off) to run and closed (on) to kill. Leaving the wires off the kill switch will still enable the engine to run and stop off the ignition switch only if still wired per factory spec's

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

ok, so I'll leave the two wires from the kill switch seperated. the toggle switch to off. I'm getting no choke and the inricher valve seems to read zero volts with key on black lead to ground red to yellow. My manual only covers 3 and 4 cyl engines. can I use the 3 cyl testing procedures on mine since it basically has two 3 cyl switch boxes. All I have is a basic volt meeter. were do I start??????

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

I pulled the remote off and looked at the key switch and someone has been in there cause there were wires that should be hooked up not hooked up so now I'm just trying to hook them up right but I can't hardly read were the letters coinside with the terminals.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

OK, took and hooked up the ignition switch per the book and got nothing. No crank and no power trim. Hooked it back up the way it was and still nothing. Jumped the starter solenoid and it cranked. I'm getting absolutely nothing at the controls. I did the continuity test on the switch and every thing was reading fine until I got to the choke in and test the red to the yellow black and the purple to the yellow black. Got no continuity on those two. I'm really lost now. Is there a fuse or something I'm missing to cause no power at the controls, not even trim?

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

On a 1984 Mercury 115, there is a fuse in a holder that comes off the solenoid. It is a red wire and the fuse holder is held in place on the bottom of the plate that hoses the switch boxes.
Not sure if the motors are similar, but it may be worth checking.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

yeah I seen that but thought it was something else. I'll check it out after dinner here. Thanks.

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I believe it is what carries the power up to the control box.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

by gosh you was right. Fuse was blown, put a new one in it cranked and had trim. hit the choke and it blew. I wander if that is why they had the yellow black unhooked from the ignition switch.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

I have to figure out why when you push the choke in the fuse blowes but besides that you could crank all day. Also have to figure out why I'm getting no spark.

phebus1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would unhook the wire from the enrichener and see if it still blows the fuse. If it does you know it is in the wiring, if it doesn't you know it's the enrichener.

I would also unhook the blk/ylw wires from the switch boxes and see if your had spark. Might be the kill circuit.

Sounds like you definitely have some wiring issues to sort out.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

sure does. I'll undo those wires next time I work on it. Thanks for your help today.