115 johnson still no gas

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, I'm about shot and ready to go to the shop !! My 2000 year model 115 Johnson would start and run fine for about 30 seconds, run out of gas and die. I can pump the bulb and it will crank and run fine for 30 seconds and die. As long as you pump the bulb it runs great. After 5 to 10 bulb pumping sessions, it will run WOT, idle, or in between, and no more bulb pumping all day.

After much traffic on this site, I have tightened all hoses, replaced the primer bulb, got a new (used VRO2) off ebay and now it will not run at all unless I spray primer fluid in the carbs. When I take the fuel line off at the fuel filter, it seems there is a lot of pressure on the fuel lines- it squirts gas everywhere. If I drain the carbs from the screws at the bottom of the float bowl, no gas comes out. I took apart the VRO and all gaskets and diaghrams are intact. When I pump the primer bulb, it gets hard and stays hard.

I had this VRO replaced less than 2 years ago at @ $700.00 and would prefer to figure this out ---with your help !@!!!

Any ideas appreciated.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 115 johnson still no gas

Have you tried to run it on a portable tank? Try bypassing the fuel filter.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you try to drain the carb float bowls and no fuel comes out you either have stuck needle & seats in the carbs, a hose pinced some place or a bad blockage in a fuel line.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

sounds like you have a closed door up in the motor...time to rebuild the carbs...i dont know how on earth it could ever run if the float needle was stuck....if you cant get gas into the bowl..it would not run at all.....ever unless you sprayed gas down the throttle bores.

id say you have blockage somewhere....its probably the filter on the motor itself...with the vapor seprator, the fuel pump and the carbs all having restrictions and or screens in place.....it is possible the ethanol has deteriorated the inside of your gas lines enough that the debris has clogged somewhere..

I have a nice clean looking rigging hose that has all the wires and gas lines that run into my motor tucked inside of... i developed a leak in a gas line....it was a catstrophic gas line failure INSIDE this rigging hose!! when i took it off. i could see it ate itself from the inside to the outside!!!!!!!!

now i am wondering, if I am going to need to clean out all my screens and filter now that I have found this( 4 days ago!!!)

good luck

bob

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am not getting gas to the carbs, but this is a new devleopment since I put the VRO back on yesterday. I was running fine as long as I pumped the bulb before taking the VRO off and taking it apart. The filter is clean and clear, the fuel lines are new. If I unscrew the drain plug at the top of the vapor seperator- gas comes out. If I unhook the fuel line from either side of the top of the vapor seprator, I don't get any gas to come out from the nipples that run to the carbs. This is a 115 hp and there is a fuel line going to the 2 carbs on the left and another going to the 2 carbs on the right. Is there a float or something in the vapor seperator that could have messed up when I took the VRO off? Thanks for all the help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The Vapor separator has a float and inlet needle like a carb. It also needs a air tight cover, unlike a carb, so you might check that out. The OMS pump has a gravity feed for gasoline from the vapor seperator. You did check and clean the main strainer? Is it an air tight connection to the Vapor Seperator?

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the arrow on the primer bulb pointed toward the engine?

Yes, it is new and turned the right direction. When I take the VRO apart, it is full of gas, so the gravity feed from the vapor seperator to the VRO is good. The VRO back to the fuel mix chamber on the vapor seperator is a nipple, with 2 O rings that pushes into the bottom of the vapor seperator. There is no air leak that I can feel and no gas is getting to that point, but the VRO is full of gas. I can blow air thru the top of the VRO gas outlet pipe and hear it coming out inside the VRO. That is why I am wondering about the pulse limiter. If the diaphram is not geting enough vacuum, I asume it would not work to pump the gas and oil - whick, by the way- I am not getting oil out of the VRO either.

I just can't see anything wrong inside the VRO when I take it apart. But, if i blow on the hose that goes from the pulse limiter to the VRO, it blow freely. If I suck on the hose, it feels a little restricted.

What ever you do don't put a lot air pressure on the pulse limter fitting, you will damage the VRO, it probably should feel restricted because it is a combination fuel/oil pump. I don't know what to tell about no gas getting to the carburetor. If you pump the primer bulb it should supply the carbs with the gas. Do you have service material. Fuel filters have a specific direction too (an arrow) but I have never seen a plastic one restrict fuel like that. Make sure you have all of your connection correct. I would get a glass jar and start talking apart the connections of the fuel system connection by connection until you find the restriction.
2012-01-16_1847.png

Attachments

• 2012-01-16_1847.jpg
    2012-01-16_1847.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to all that have replied to help me. I think I found the problem thanks to all your help.

First when I took the VRO off I found that the hose from the pulse limiter to the VRO was fairly loose. I tightened the clamp and re=installed the VRO....but I put the limiter hose to the gas inlet of the VRO and the gas line to the vacuum line nipple. NOT GOOD !! That explains why I could pump the bulb and get gas to the VRO- air motor housing- but not to the carbs. Thanks to your help I saw my mistake. I put the hoses on correctly and now- at least two hours apart- the engine cranks and runs on muffs without having to pump the primer bulb. I really think the problem was that the hose on the pulse limiter was loose enough that I would have to pump the primer bulb 5 to 10 times to keep it running. Maybe after the pulse limiter got warm enough to expand a little - it would seal off the hose. That would expalin why the motor would suddenly start working perfect after several primer bulb pumping sessions.

Anyway, I am hopeful that this issue is resolved after 3 weekends of pain and suffering. Thanks to all for the help.

If it messes up again- I'll be back !!!@

Thanks to all !!!!