HELP - Alpha Gen II Oil Reservoir Installation Advice sought

stopher

Seaman Apprentice
OUTDRIVE RESERVOIR INSTALLATION....
the installation instructions that came with the SEI Outdrive-oil reservoir are pretty skimpy.

it will probably seem more clear when I have the outdrive removed.
I am thoughtful on future outdrive removals when this thing is connected.

Since the oil is not highly pressurized, I suspect the brass fitting into a drilled throughway would be sufficient.

I am expecting a throughway in the outdrive, but am not certain which models have it predrilled.

Something to figure out as I go along.

SEI instructions that I don't like:
3. ABOVE THE WATERLINE AND HIGHER THAN TH E TOP OF THE OUTDRIVE A 5/8 HOLE WILLL NEED TO BE DRILLED AT A 45 TO 60 DEGREE ANGLE FOR THE 4AN LINE TO FIT THROUGH THE HULL. THE ANGLE IS NEED SO NOT TO PUT A CRIMP ON THE LINE AFTER INSTALLING THE COVER.

so, i'll inspect. I am NOT enthusiastic about drilling the hull ! I HOPE the outdrive has a predrilled hole via the gimble OR i can somehow use the sensor throughways.

Any ideas ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: HELP - Alpha Gen II Oil Reservoir Installation Advice sought

Did your boat not have a reservoir? The early Gen II transom shields and bellhousings were not machined for the fitting. They just used a dipstick on the top of the drive.

stopher

Seaman Apprentice

it is an alphaGen2. bell has a through-hole, but it is deliberately filled with a plug.

i bought a SEI kit to retrofit it. I am thoughtful of assemblying it so the plastic fitting won't break...i read i should use brass or the one way valve.

it's not entirely clear in fragmented reading across blogs of what i should expect.
I think i'll do the bellows this winter and will investigate then; and finish this with a write up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm really not sure what kit you are referring to, I looked at SEI and they don't even list a reservoir kit. After re-reading your original post, I'm not sure the kit you have is designed for thru the transom shield.
Do you have a link to the kit?

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You have to remove that plug and get the correct transom fitting from mercruser.this will make the transition to the outside of the boat.do not try to jury rig this !!!

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I understant that SEI is quite helpful. I suggest calling them.