Brass Drain Plug? Please Advise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys,

I got a quick question I just bought a 08 Q4 last weekend and I noticed to while I was cleaing there is a brass plug right beside the regular drain plug. Its on there extremly tight so I didn't force it off. Can anyone tell me whats it for and if i need to keep it off while I store the boat?

Thanks for the help....

C-17 Pilot

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Brass Drain Plug? Please Advise...

I believe the one you are referring to is the oil drain? A picture of it would be better...

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a pic of it... someone told me it might be the garboard drain? Which I don't know what that is either haha...

photo2.JPG

halfmoa

Ensign

The garboard that zopperman was referring to is like a subfloor. It's the lowest level of deck in your boat but not necessicarily the lowest point.

It's a good idea to keep one thread per idea/topic too!

CO_FOX

Cadet

Pretty sure that is your motor oil drain. I believe Tahoe stopped doing it after the 2009 models. At least mine does not have one.

C-17 Pilot

Seaman Apprentice

yes, it is the oil drain. No, you do not need to remove for winterization. I would plan on draining the oil/re-servicing every 100 hours or so. if that puts you to winterization time, then so be it.

BTW, where did you get your boat? I noticed you are Mississippi...? Not too many Mississippian's on here...

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I live in south Mississippi but had to make a trip to Florida to get the boat... Just got her 2 weeks ago. Can't wait to get her on the water!!!

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its an oil drain... A small cable attaches to the back of the plug. The other end is attached to a rubber hose with a plug screwed into the end. The rubber hose attaches to the oil pan. To change the oil you remove the brass plug and pull it until the hose is visible. Place a container under the end and remove the plug.

Make sure that you tighten the brass plug snugly when its done. I've heard that the brass plug can work loose. Imagine riding down the lake - the plug falls out and is drawn into the prop... the hose is yanked out of the oil pan and the lifeblood of your engine drains into the bilge. pretty soon you are dead in the water with water leaking into the boat. Bad day!!!

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very bad day... thanks for the info!!

Status
Not open for further replies.