1976 55hp question - water pump kit

gammason

Recruit
Hello,

First post! - I've got a 1976 55hp engine that runs, but I want to replace the water pump because I know the engine has been sitting for 6 years. I've got the manual and have done the basic stuff to get the engine running (gearbox fluid, plugs, plug boots, grease everything), but have not replaced the impeller.

My question is the kit sold on iboats doesn't call out specifically a 1976 55hp. According to the chart in the "Top Secret File" I could use a 50hp - is this correct? Before I spend any $$ I just want to know for sure (if possible) because dollars are hard to come by these days and I don't want to be wasting them.

Thanks very much for any information you can give!

Scott

dazk14

Ensign
Re: 1976 55hp question - water pump kit

Please post your model# - there are differences.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If it were me, I would tear it down to see what pump is in there before buying anything. The original pump with aluminum housing is obsolete---for good reason. So, see if it has been replaced with the newer pump with plastic housing & stainles steel liners. If it has, the probably all you need is an impeller. But if the aluminum pump, replace the whole thing with the plastic/stainless kit. Sorry, I have lost track of the numbers.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have the same motor on my aluminum fishing boat, love it. Great power.

FR gave you about the best advice you could get, drop the gearcase and see what ya got.

If the housing has been replaced, the impeller needed is 0377230

gammason

Recruit

Hey Dazk14, the model # is 55673E. The big thing is it doesn't list a kit for a 55 hp engine. Thanks FR & Chris. Good advice. I'll go ahead and take it apart to see what I've got. I was hoping to run it in the lake before this big storm came in, but it's looking nasty outside, so it sounds like I'll be down for another week or so. Which means perfect time to dig into it.

This is my first boat motor so I'm trying to learn as much as I can - I've got the manual, so I'll read up. I've also verified it shifts into forward and reverse and rev's up via the controls - and the head is getting warm, but I can touch it so things seem to be OK to try it on the lake, if it weren't for the weather! OK, now I'm rambling :)

So if the housing is plastic, I've still got the original housing, and I should replace it with a new pump with metal housing? If so, does anybody know of the replacement pump and where to get it? I found the rebuild kit for the original at ishopmarine.com for $20 less than everywhere else ($63) but no information for a replacement housing.

Thanks for you help - if it wasn't for this forum, I'd feel really, really confused - as it is I'm only just confused. hehehe

Thanks again,

Scott

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

No the new housings are made from plastic and have a stainless steel liner in them.

Here is the impeller, they also have one made by Sierra for 2 bucks less, but buy the OEM one

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0777213&ptype=&Engine=&Model=

Here is the whole kit if you need it, hopefully not, it is not cheap! I am by no means advertising for marineengine, just use their site as I find it easy to use for part numbers.

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0389133&ptype=&Engine=&Model=

dazk14

Ensign

The new correct current BRP part# is 0389133. It WILL include housing and everything you need, including a water tube bracket which is pricey.

List is $83, dealer cost~60. Ishop and boatsdotnet seem to have a following and $68 is obviously a good price.

I would suggest you ENSURE they have the part on hand, otherwise expect 3 additional days from BRP to them.

I don't think you will find the metal housing when you open it up.

If the kit is within your means, I suggest you go in that direction. We have had LOTS of dissembled components come in the shop through the years. A common M/O is the owner gets it apart, waits for parts... loses existing parts/momentum/memory in the process.

If you decide to go the impeller route, the BRP number is 0377230, superceded to 0777213.

gammason

Recruit

Thanks Dazk! This is perfect. I didn't even notice some kits have the housing and some don't. I'm going to go ahead and order the housing also because I'd rather have the part in my hand (for an extra $20). That way, it's a seamless remove and replace all in the same couple of hours. No parts laying around the garage for a week or two, etc.

BTW, the boat is a 1976 Orrion trihull in great shape! Looks like it sat for most of it's life in a carport. I checked the transom and banged on the floor and it feels solid. I know the difference by checking out a bunch of other boats that were selling for thousands that had rot happening in various places around the transom & soft/thunk sounding floor areas. Thank goodness for this board - it helped me know what to look for. Oh, and this boat was not for sale, just sitting in an enclosed carport of a vacation home. It hadn't moved since I've lived here (6 years+). It was a win-win - the owner was happy to sell it, and we were happy to get it.

I just gotta wait for some nice weather, round up a couple of buddies, and take it out for a spin. I'm not brave enough to take it out by myself the first time, and besides, I want to keep an eye on the engine and be available to tweak it while under power. And without a telltale, I'm a little nervous about trusting the engine temp to a buzzer. I'll add a telltale in the future. Jeeze, more rambling!

Thanks again!

Scott