Paint oxidation

Bassboy81

Cadet
I just purchased an old terry bass boat that i want to fix up over the winter. The flake paint its so oxidized that it is rought to the touch. I was told I could wet send it, rubbing compound, and then polishing compound, which make a big diffence but its not that great. Any recommendation on what i should do? Has anyone tired Miguiers oxidation remover

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Paint oxidation

Maybe try the restoration forum but if you can feel the flake it is probably beyond a buff and wax, it soudns lie all the gel coat between the flake and what shoud be the surface is gone.

You can try on a small area to wet sand with some 1500-2000 and then wax and see what it does.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Moving this to Restoration section

Bassboy81

Cadet

Boat.jpg
Here some pictures. One is what it looks like, one after wet sanding and one is what is and area that isn't oxidized. Is there a better way

Bassboy81

Cadet

i am just about to go and buy a bottle of the oxidation remover, but i was wondering if it is in to bad of condition

chriscraft254

Commander

Hard to tell by the pics. Try and upload better ones if you can. Wet sanding is great if properly done. The restore compounds are worth a shot, there basically a liquid compound. If you wet sand, use a 600 grit, then 800 grit, then 1200, then 1500. As you sand, keep the paper wet so it slides across the surface easiliy.

Starbrights fiberglass restore is very good also. But the steps you mentioned above are correct. Wet sand, compound, polish. Good luck.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I don't know baout all that paper, if it is already thin and he hits it with 4 kinds of paper there certainly will be nothing left, I would start with 1200 and go to 2000 that way you get rid of the oxidation but not the rest of gel coat, 600 is pretty rough.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Once the metalflake starts to protrude through the surface it's almost impossible to fix. You're best bet is a wet sanding with 1200 grit and then shooting some clear coat over it. There is no guarantee that this will work but it's the best bet. If it does not then your only recourse is to sand it down to the glass and repaint or re-gel.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used the three step by mcquires as well did a great job, but i also had a nice portor cable radom orbital polisher made it a much easier job. Good luck finding the mcquires though i had to order it online best price for the whole kit was on amazon. I also had the flake protuding thru the clear you could feel it. I know it didnt fix my problem because you can see the patchy spots in the clear but it did smooth it out. I have about a 30 yr old boat and dont think i want to spend the cash to get it recleared on top it will spend all the time inside except when its on the water so i fig it will be good for some time.
100_3394.jpg100_3393.jpg100_3385.jpg100_3387.jpg100_3389.jpg

Bassboy81

Cadet

looks like you had the same problem as me. if the oxidation remover how did it look after you did it the first time, and how did you do it

bgc

Ensign

I spent an excessive amount on time with a buffer and rubbing compound (Turtle wax brand). I switched to 1500 wet sanding, goes much faster.
IMG_1382.jpg