More HorsePower!

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been looking around to see what kind of performance stuff they make for inboards as that might influence what boat/engine I buy next. I found on ebay someone is selling power chips that state +15% hp & Tq and +6% fuel economy

anyone have one? does it work?

anyone have any sites for performance stuff? I know I could just buy a bigger engine, but I don't do stock vehicles, even my wife has an aftermarket twin turbo kit on her stealth :)

thanks

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
Re: More HorsePower!

I have never used one of these but I have heard tales about them, mainly on performance boat sites and rv sites. Yes they do provide some additional power but they change the timing, lean out the fuel ratios, and totally change the exhaust emissions and fuel consumption. Now that may not be a problem with a boat as it would be for an automobile (I mean meeting mileage and environmental standards) but will they handle the heavier duty cycle that a marine engine is tuned for? I don't know. Marine engines are tuned to run under heavy load at 3/4 throttle all day long, whereas auto engines are tuned for variable speeds and lighter duty cycles. This means a different cam, different timimg, heavy components and oil and cooling pumps and so on. So will the chip work? It might just really screw things up. Try posting your question on http://www.performanceboats.com/forum.php

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You're being a little vague on what kind of boat you have, what you expect out of it, and what kind of power you're wanting (pulling power or top speed power.) We really like pictures on this site.
Inboards have limitations in that their hulls are usually displacement hulls--pushing the water out of the way. There are just so few improvements that are cost efficient in straight inboards.
Inboard outboard boats and outboards are usually planing hulls--riding on top of the water. Engine modifications are still expensive, but you can get often substantial improvements in performance.
With a little better info, you'll just get better advice.

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks peter, I'll check that site out, and Bamaman1 I stated that I am looking into a new boat and performance/aftermarket parts availability may influence my decision.

QC

Supreme Mariner

If you're looking into a new boat, why not get the performance you want from the git go? Also, all marine gasoline engines are stoich (look it up). How do you get more performance without more air? How does a "chip" get you more air? Annnd, how does more power and torque get you more efficiency? If it takes 172.7 hp at the prop to go 43.8 MPH, how does more fuel (more power) fix that? If it is a 2008+ then it's illegal, if it is older, the timing is already optimized on electronic engines, so I don't get it. Just some stuff to think about.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

You're being a little vague on what kind of boat you have, what you expect out of it, and what kind of power you're wanting (pulling power or top speed power.) We really like pictures on this site.
Inboards have limitations in that their hulls are usually displacement hulls--pushing the water out of the way. There are just so few improvements that are cost efficient in straight inboards.
Inboard outboard boats and outboards are usually planing hulls--riding on top of the water. Engine modifications are still expensive, but you can get often substantial improvements in performance.
With a little better info, you'll just get better advice.

What are you smoking?

There are plenty of high performance inboards!
Century built a bunch, Chris Craft had V-drive XK-19, Donzi had V-drive Hornet and 2+3. Dan Arena had 22' surface drive inboard that hit the mid 60's stock.
36321d1256017714-dan-arena-boats-dan-arena-23.jpg

36331d1256019159-dan-arena-boats-p1010009a.jpg

My 440 v-drive Century Arabian hits the mid 70s. My BILs 1963 Century Coronado has a dual quad, solid lifter cam, 350hp 426 wedge stock! Stock 55mph inboard runabout!
If you want new, Frauscher builds high performance inboards: http://www.frauscher.nl/

Sure looks like it's a non displacment hull!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7gNOz3U29E

19hornet.jpg

Attachments

• 4-11-arabian.jpg
    4-11-arabian.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0
  • bb426.jpg
    bb426.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 0
  • xk-1.jpg
    xk-1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
  • xk-2.jpg
    xk-2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0
  • XK19_Pirro1.jpg
    XK19_Pirro1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stoich just means it is getting the right amount of air for the fuel being injected, add more fuel and air, tweek the timing and might get more power, don't know if this is the case that's what I am asking, and the year doesn't matter definitely NOT ILLEGAL?? don't know where you get that from? absolutely no law against anything performance wise on any vehicles here, I can have a twin blower alcohol car on the street here :) Love not being in a HUGE city :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are no "Chip" you can replace in marine engines. That is automotive all the way.
Do you think $1000 per 1 mph is worth the effort. Get a boat with the power you want, don't try to add it. You never get what you expect from add ons.

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are no "Chip" you can replace in marine engines. That is automotive all the way.
Do you think $1000 per 1 mph is worth the effort. Get a boat with the power you want, don't try to add it. You never get what you expect from add ons.

maybe I wasn't clear enough, no matter what boat I get, I will want to add power, that's just the kinda guy I am. No there is no "chip" in boats OR cars/trucks, there are ECU's but I linked to a power programmer which is what I was referring to. If I got a V8 then the sky is the limit as to chat I could do. The chip is $250 and would add 20-40+ HP (or so it says) depending on the engine

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Buy one with a Merc V8. There are a few companies making superchargers for marine engines. That would be the most bang for the buck for additional power. Depending on the year of the boat a cam, intake and carb upgrade can get you a few additional ponies.

Bondo

Staff member

The chip is $250 and would add 20-40+ HP (or so it says) depending on the engine

Ayuh,.... That MIGHT be 1 mph improvement....

Reading the write up,...
It sounds like abuncha Car guys wrote it, Not knowin' jack ship 'bout Marine injection systems...

Buyin' a New boat, yer gonna void the warranty, 1st day off the trailer,..??

QC

Supreme Mariner

Define "here"? I don't know where you are. I posted 2008, but actually in the US, 2010 for the new emission rules. Has nothing to do with city size. Unless you go with "high performance" racing engines, you get an emission controlled engine using a catalytic converter, and it is illegal to "tamper" with them . . . That's just a fact. You can use any block with an old serial number to get around it, but you asked about modifying existing engines, and legally it's just like a car on the new engines.

How does a chip get you more air? Especially at WOT. I've never understood that. I'm asking too. I don't know.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

If you want more power your going to need to build the engine from scratch. A typical high performance marine engine that will be reliable and not break the bank will produce 1 to 1.2 horsepower per cubic inch. Anything more than 1.2 can drive up the price and reduce the life.

I put over 8k in to my big block Chrysler.

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Tahorover: You're right that there were some high performance inboard hulls, but they're few and far between. I/O's were just so much easier to get the speed out of. The Ski Nautique type boats are just about all the inboards we now see, and they're very limited in speed. Dedicated ski boats are special use boats built like a 1 ton truck--to pull.

In the early 70's, we used to see low profile jet boats with Berkley and Jacuzzi Jet drives--455 Olds engines. Those engines were very torquey, but very low rpm's--good for maybe 70 mph. You could take a comparable inboard hull, put a V-Drive in it, and you'd be good for right at 100 mph. We just seldom see that kind of boat any longer.

I have a friend down the street (on the lake) that has a 1976 23' Correct Craft v-hull with a 351 Ford and straight inboard. It's not fast, but is still quite a classy ride. His cousin has a 1953 Chris Craft 17' with a Gray Marine/Chrysler engine that they bought new. The value in a straight inboard is that they'll just last so long if properly maintained. Every marine salvage yard is full of not so old inboard-outboard hulls with the running gear junked out.

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I live up in Prince George, BC Canada. no rules on anything to do with emissions for cars or boats :)

A little more info: Up here there are only a few lakes to go on so the boats you tend to see are usually all the same size 17-20 ft, I was hoping to be more in the 17-18.5 ft range, the problem for me is that I have been looking and all the new boats I found have the same engine options for the sizes, no one has a 4.3 for their 17.5 or any V8's for thier 18.5's so I want something just a bit better then the guy next to me at the boat launch. that is where all this came from

I apologize as I probably should have put that in the first post :facepalm:

I am looking at I/O bowriders with fish packages

wagnerz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now that you established you want a 18.5' boat with an I/O, how fast do you want to go?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

The thing you linked to is not a chip or a power programmer or any of that.
You want to know what it is? A variable resistor packaged in a sophisticated looking box... All it does it change the resistance of the IAT circuit to fool the ECM into thinking that the air coming into the engine is a different temp than what it really is, thus slightly enriching or leaning out fuel trims. It's a Busch league way of "performance tuning" an engine, and a nice way to run it too lean...

Your city/town/state may not care, but for what it's worth, the EPA does.

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No EPA here. down in vancouver they have "air care" emissions testing, but nothing like that up here.....yet

I would like to go in the 50-60MPH range was hoping to find a boat with a wrecked motor, but they last SOO long here as there is no ocean it is very rare to find one, unless they froze it in the winter

QC

Supreme Mariner

No EPA here.
Well, uhhh . . . kinda like a fungus . . .

On February 4, 2011, Environment Canada adopted Marine Spark-Ignition Engine, Vessel and Off-Road Recreational Vehicle Emission Regulations . These emission regulations apply to outboard engines, personal watercraft, snowmobiles, off-highway motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles. Most of the regulatory provisions came into force from April 5, 2011. The standards align with corresponding US EPA rules for marine spark-ignition engines and off-road recreational engines and vehicles. An earlier MOU with the Canadian Marine Manufacturers Association covered only marine spark ignition engines and under its terms, engine manufacturers voluntarily committed to supply engines designed to meet United States federal emissions standards into Canada starting with the 2001 model year.

The point is moot unless you buy something that new. And, unless the boat was built in Canada it probably will have a US engine in it anyway. My original point was that the decision on what to buy, and what you will be able to do with it once you do, may need to include this issue as well . . . ;)