New boater looking for some opinions

mrand55

Recruit
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/2790934022.htmlhttp://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/2792316640.html

Hello all, my name is Mike and I live in Oregon. I have been boat crazy for a little over a year and am now in a spot in life where I can afford to buy my first boat. I have been looking at boats in my area and surfing these forums for about a year to try to prepare myself as best I can for my first boat. What I am looking for is a 19'-22' open bow in the $10-12k range. I recently have found 2 boats I am interested in looking at on craigslist (Links above) and was wondering what some of the more experienced boaters thought. From the research I've done and the looking in my area they both seem like pretty good deals but would appreciate any input I can get. Thank you for you time.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: New boater looking for some opinions

Welcome,
I'm going to go ahead and tell you what I think most of the folks on here will tell you and what you may have read in other posts. Check each boat out with a fine tooth comb. Check floors for soft spots, they equal rot and if they are soft, the stringers could also be in need of repair. Check or have the engine and outdrive checked and ask for maintainance records. Check and make sure the blower, bildge pump and all other systems are working like they are supposed to/ Don't forget to test it on the water before laying down the cash. You may even consider having them checked out by a pro if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

I can't speak about the Reinelle, but I did have a 19' Stingray 192LX and I loved it. Fast boat with good performance. They are a little more narrow than most boats so you do lose a little room inside but I didn't mind.

I'm sure the other, more experienced guys on here will guide you the rest of the way. Good luck with which ever you may choose.

southkogs

Staff member

mrand, glad to have you on the forums.

Initial impression - The guy with the Reinelle is proud of it and might be a little overpriced. I'm also wondering if maybe he didn't wire up a bunch of the electronics himself, so watch that when you look at it. I like the sound of the other ad a bit better (garage kept, etc.), and am struck thinking maybe it's a slightly better cared for boat. Maybe.

Just 2? to go on top of all of the hull/fittings/engine checkin' stuff you'll get.

Good luck with 'em.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I really never trust a seller that doesn't know about the item he is selling.
And thats the impression I get with the Reinell.

I would check out the Stingray.

And yes, might be overpriced, but only you can judge the local market.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Like others have said make sure the boat checks out good. For the money you are going to spend a marine survey would be money well spent. What are you planning on using the boat for? Fishing, cruising, skiing or tubing?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I don't know, both boat look like thay have been well taken care of, the one is garage stored and other has the proper covers and supposedly service records.

The Reinall is a tiny bit bigger with a bigger engine, the 4.3 is a good engine but sort of on the small side for that big of a boat, from my seat 3000 mile away it almost looks like a draw between the two, it woudl be well worth your time and money to have them looked at by a pro, it will cost and extra couple hundred but could save you many times that, so I woudl decide which one I wanted and have it looked at by a marina, both very nice boat though

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi mrand, Dunno, but you might check with a local marina and find out if there's someone they'd recommend who is very knowledgeable on used boats/motors and ask him to come with you to get an opinion on the boat your most interested in.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I would look for a boat with a molded fiberglass cockpit sole (maybe the Stingray has this?) rather than a carpet-over-plywood sole. I've owned both types and will never buy another boat with carpet-over-plywood. That said, I tend to keep my stuff a long time and like it to be built to last. If you are not going to keep this boat a long time, it probably won't matter.

Both of the boats in your links look well-kept in the photos and appear to show pride of ownership. Boats with that kind of background are ideal used boats, IMO.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The Reinall is a tiny bit bigger with a bigger engine, the 4.3 is a good engine but sort of on the small side for that big of a boat

Not for a Stingray. They're fast hulls. You sacrifice some ride quality though. I think the Stingray looks super nice and well worth checking out. I'm not a fan of the Reinell.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

They both seem a bit overpriced.

mrand55

Recruit

I appreciate all the input. I agree with some of the previous posters that fwiw the ad for the Stingray gave me a better gut feeling than the other as far as care, maint., etc. The boat will mostly be used for cruising, maybe the occasional tuber, but we're not skiiers or wake boarders. I might do a little lake fishing but that will not be a factor in whatever I decide to buy. As far as the prices being too high, if anyone can find something within a reasonable distance that is comparable and cheaper please let me know but from what I've found they seem pretty fairly priced. I will be looking at the Stingray tomorrow and I appreciate everyone's tips on things to look for. With the climate being what it is here in Oregon, I'm assuming the boat will be winterized for the year. I realize this is a pretty big draw back of buying in the winter but I will have a pro look at it before I make any purchase. Thank you all again for your time, and will probably post Sunday about the boat I looked at and please keep posting any opinions, advice and thoughts.