advice on buying a F150 with broken crankshaft ?

boater83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Haven't looked into how much damage but was told has a broken crankshalf that's in two pieces right now. Not sure what caused it or any further internal damage (none physically outside.) Figure I can order another crankshaft and rebuild it.

Any advice what to look besides the broken crankshaft when I go see the motor and is this motor worth rebuilding? It is a '06 F150. Includes controls and gauges in deal. Thanks.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: advice on buying a F150 with broken crankshaft ?

Why did it break?

Probably the balancer went out, blocked the oil pickup, and starved the powerhead for oil. Gonna need a new powerhead.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The purchase price should be low enough to where you could go to the used retail market and purchase a quality used fresh water Yamaha motor to replace it. If it's rebuildable, you're okay. If not, part the old engine out for parts on Ebay--lower unit, trim motor, carbs, etc.

See Boattrader.com and EbayMotors.com if you cannot find an engine @ Iboats.com.

boater83

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Why did it break?

Probably the balancer went out, blocked the oil pickup, and starved the powerhead for oil. Gonna need a new powerhead.

I was thinking this is the reason. Hopefully valves, pistons, cylinders are okay. Will keep posted once I look at it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If you starve a motor of oil it will get more than just bearings.
More than likely it will cause damage to the block area that the bearings set in as they lock up and spin, before they seize up everything, along with the pistons and cylinder walls. it all needs lube to keep rolling along