Residential Doorway Reinforcement???

macsfriended

Seaman
Since my sister's home had a door kicked in by teen burglars, I've googled and considered adding a steel reinforcement plate to the exterior door ways in my house and my son's house.

The advertisements paint a good and strong story (up to 14 gauge metal; 3 and 1/2" screws; and up to 5 or 6 ft. long.)

Friends, who don't have one, think that it would be a waste of time and money.

I'd appreciate your actual experiences, opinions and thoughts.

Thanks, Ed

mscher

Lieutenant
Re: Residential Doorway Reinforcement???

"Friends, who don't have one, think that it would be a waste of time and money"

How many of them, have had their front door kicked in, by burglers? ;)

Apparently not having one, does not work either. ;)

I have not installed one, but I would think it would be better than not having one.

Big part of theft deterrent, is how much work ,will a thief have to do, to get in. Easy works pretty good.

One kick to the door, a quick pop, is a done-deal. Kicking it for 5 or 10 minutes, having to bust the door frame loose, might convince them to move on, especially since there may be more of a chance to be discovered.

They might then go in through the window, but that's a lot of work too. Crooks are lazy.

I'd go with a full-height metal peice, the best you can afford.

Can she invest in a dog?

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Look at schilage lock set. The dead bolt has large screws and reinforcing plate at the jamb. Very sturdy feeling. The kwikset locks don't even compare. Take a look. Should do the job for you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Use 1/8 inch steel plate behind door frame on lock side. Use the best dead bolt you can afford.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I had it illustrated to me very vividly one day when I locked myself out, I was able to push on the door and open it. Now I have full 1/8th inch reinforcement the full length of the door and built two custom stainless steel striker plates for the jamb, you could not kick my door down, or shoot it with a shotgun and get in. It is a small price to pay for the piece of mind!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Just like most things the frame is the key, even a very good door is only as strong as the frame. Keep in mind though that if the door is a beast, the window next to it is much easier

southkogs

Staff member

Ed:

Don't miss mscher's point above: I grew up in Detroit and break-ins kinda' came with the territory. #1 best defense against the "opportunist" types (teen punks and what not) is a dog with a solid size bark. Any dog will do (doesn't need to be a man eater), but the bigger sounding the bark is the better.

The reinforcement might be good, window treatments might be good too. Dog = cheap, easy and kinda' fun.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

How many exterior doors are there? If you do it to one, you really have to do it to all of them.

Has she thought about an alarm with a nice loud siren?

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi all, Installed video security a couple of years ago and advertised it in the windows. Saved on building fences, steel doors, titanium lock sets (Dogs) and such. The cost of system was nothing compared to doing the above and have had no further problems with B&E'rs or property damage. Videos' are worth a thousand locks.