1988 Skeeter Fish and Ski

dogsandaboat

Recruit
Hello all, First time boat owner, first time boat restore.
I have been lurking on many different websites reviewing other peoples boat rebuilds and after carefully documenting my transom stringer dimension. I have ran into some areas I have questions about and would like to get some opinions of some more experienced individuals.

The boat I am working on is a 1988 skeeter fish and ski.
split.jpg

The first question I have is regarding the outer fiberglass skin. This boat does not have a flat outer skin. It has two area that stick out off the transom area. When I removed the transom it had a thin fiberglass layer across this area. Do I remove the fiberglass in this area and if so how do I reconstruct this area when putting in the new transom core?
transom3.jpgtransom1.jpgtransom2.jpg

The next question I have is regarding materials, I would prefer to order only a few variants of cloth if possible. I plan on using 12 oz cloth for tabbing in the stringers and transom and 1708 for the inside transom skin and over top of the stringers. Does this seem like a good approach?
Please feel free to critique my approach or make any suggestion as seen fit.
I appreciate all of the help in advance.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Skeeter Fish and Ski

I'm not a Fish n' Ski guru, but as far as your glass and resin needs...
I'd recommend 465 Laminating resin from www.uscomposites.com CSM (Chopped Strand Mat) and 1708 Biaxial Cloth. When using Polyester resin you must use CSM befor laying any type of cloth. With epoxy no CSM is required. Check out the link in my signature for Diagrams and recommendations on how to fabricate everything.

dogsandaboat

Recruit

Thanks alot for the info. That is some straightforward information. I was hoping to order my materials today but when I went to double check my measurements I noticed that from the outer skin to the inside of where the old inside skin was is I'm coming up 1 1/4". I had originally marked down 1 1/2" transom core. I'm now worried that if I get the transom too thick the splashwell of the cap will not clear.
Would 2 sheets of 1/2" plus the layer of CSM give me the 1 1/4" im now measuring? Also does 1 1/4" core seem thin for a 115HP outboard?
Also this boat does not seem to have "knees" on the stringers, just 3/4" straight edge butted up and glassed to the transom. Does this seem right? Thanks for all your help

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

A member called cadwelder is one of our bass boat gurus and he might be more familiar with the construction of your boat. You might try and send him a PM and see if he will take a look at your scenario. It is true you must stay within the original parameters to make the top cap fit back on. If glassed properly 1 1/4" should be fine for your motor.