1708 tape vs 50 inch roll

ImperialV184

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anybody used the 1708 tapes for tabbing stringers an the transom? Did the math and cost is about the same, figured I would get 12 inch tape which would give me 6 inches on each side. I could go with the 6 inch tape if 3 inches is enough tabbing. Just seams like it would be a lot easier than cutting the tabbing out of a large roll. Thoughts?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1708 tape vs 50 inch roll

No problem doing that. 3-4 yrds of 1708 50" to do the transom and the rest 12" tape and you should be good to go.

ImperialV184

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great, thanks for the feedback, i have used the tape before on a kayak building project, it is super easy to use and does not fray nearly as bad as cut fiberglass. My tallest stringer is 13.5 inches. The tape may not allow me to cover the entire stinger so i may have to overlap on the sides for full coverage. I am assuming this would be OK

oops!

Supreme Mariner

overlapping is fine.

but as far as bang for the buck goes......the tape is twice as expencive.

you get far more glass for the dollar. and when you get stuck....its back to the store for more glass !

swire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I had to do my boat rebuild over again I would go with tape for tabbing it in. I had 6 stringers about 15 feet long. Trying to cut multiple 15 foot long strips with straight edges was simply not possible. I had wavey edges all over the place but no one is going to see them. It definately added to the frustration and wasted material. So next time it will be tape.

I tabbed in the stringers with 4 to 6 inches on each side of the joint. Then I glassed the whole stringer and went a couple inches wide than the tabbing just to give it extra strength. The wavey strips caused problems with this too since some spots of the tabbing were just as wide as the new layer of glass going down.