Curious

cyclops2

Banned
Do any trailer companies post the weight of trailers on the trailer ? If yes. Is it a law ? When did it start ?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Curious

my 89 econoline backhoe pro 12 ton equipment trailer has the weight stamped on the data plate. none of my boat trailers do though... I doubt there is any law requiring it.

Thalasso

Commander

Do any trailer companies post the weight of trailers on the trailer ? If yes. Is it a law ? When did it start ?
My boat trailer has the weight of trailer and load capacity on a tag at the tounge. Don't know if it is required for sure but my guess would be that it is. If you look at cars and trucks, it has it on the door jam decal for you to figure out curb weight and load weight, otherwise how would you know for sure. My tag even tells me what axle cap. are. Okay, did some searching and found this.

49 CFR Section 567.4 (g) that states that the label shall contain the following statements, in the English language, lettered in block capitals and numerals not less than three thirty-seconds of an inch high, in the order shown:

1. Name of manufacturer

2. Month and year of manufacture

3. “Gross Vehicle Weight Rating” or “GVWR”

4. “Gross Axle Weight Rating” or “GAWR”

5. The statement: “This vehicle conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date of manufacture shown above.”

6. Vehicle identification number

7. The type of classification of the vehicle (e.g., truck, MPV, bus, trailer).

The tire, rim, and cold inflation information can be provided either on the certification label or on a separate label applied in the same area on the trailer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Thalasso,

None of the 7 items mentioned for the tag indicates that actual weight of the trailer which is what the OP was asking about.

Your tag actually lists the unladen weight?

cyclops2

Banned

I read GVWR as the weight of the complete trailer.

GAWR is the combined weight of the trailer & object being carried on it.

So subtracting GV from GA should be the maximum of the object to be carried.

Thalasso

Commander

Thalasso,

None of the 7 items mentioned for the tag indicates that actual weight of the trailer which is what the OP was asking about.

Your tag actually lists the unladen weight?

Yes, my trailer lists the weight of trailer. My trailer (unladen) weight= 2140 My load cap. is 12625

"Edit" It even gives me axle cap. for each axle & Tire size.

Thalasso

Commander

I read GVWR as the weight of the complete trailer.

GAWR is the combined weight of the trailer & object being carried on it.

So subtracting GV from GA should be the maximum of the object to be carried.

GVWR is weight of load and trailer combined. GAWR is weight allowed on a certian axle.

cyclops2

Banned

I have always known GROSS to mean ...All parts added together. OR Combined items.
GROSS axle.... should mean the weight of trailer & boat pressing down on the axle / tires.

Dictionary...........:)

Then again. No company has to use a dictionary in their descriptions.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

GVWR is weight of load and trailer combined. GAWR is weight allowed on a certain axle.
Correct:
GVWR= Gross (total) Vehicle Weight Rating
GAWR= Gross Axle Weight Rating...

IE a widgetmobile with a GAWR rear of 2# and a GAWR front of 1# has a GVWR of 3#.... If the Curb (unloaded) weight of that widgetmobile were 2# then it would have a load capacity of 1#

cyclops2

Banned

on second thought Gross vehicle & Gross axle can be read as the same thing
Nicer if they just said....Weight of unloaded trailer..... Maximum combined weight of trailer & load is....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

on second thought Gross vehicle & Gross axle can be read as the same thing
Nicer if they just said....Weight of unloaded trailer..... Maximum combined weight of trailer & load is....

only if there is only one axle

and, sometimes they do

Thalasso

Commander

Correct:
GVWR= Gross (total) Vehicle Weight Rating
GAWR= Gross Axle Weight Rating...

IE a widgetmobile with a GAWR rear of 2# and a GAWR front of 1# has a GVWR of 3#.... If the Curb (unloaded) weight of that widgetmobile were 2# then it would have a load capacity of 1#

Yep.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I have always known GROSS to mean ...All parts added together. OR Combined items.
GROSS axle.... should mean the weight of trailer & boat pressing down on the axle / tires.
That is absolutely correct but on multiple axle trailers/vehicles they have to rate them per axle as well.... otherwise if the trailer were set up such that the load were unevenly distributed (like a torsion trailer with the tongue too high or a pickup with too much weight in the rear of the bed) an axle could be overloaded without the GVWR being exceeded.

Thalasso

Commander

That is absolutely correct but on multiple axle trailers/vehicles they have to rate them per axle as well.... otherwise if the trailer were set up such that the load were unevenly distributed (like a torsion trailer with the tongue too high or a pickup with too much weight in the rear of the bed) an axle could be overloaded without the GVWR being exceeded.

I am glad you explained it.I guess i don't get the point across well enough. That's why i said weight allowed on a certian axle.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

oh I dunno.... there was a recent thread that I tried and tried and tried to get a point across LOL

cyclops2

Banned

OK

:):facepalm::facepalm:

We want to carry a 2,000 pound boat on a 4,000 pound trailer.

We take off the 4,000 pound tires & put on 2,000 pound tires. :eek::eek::eek:

I need a bigger spoon to stir the pot up !!

Rich

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure about USA laws regarding trailer capacities, but you might want to go to your local city-dump as they usually have vehicle scales and may help you out on the trailer weight?

cyclops2

Banned

Did a weighing job on the Chararral after 4 years.
SUPRISE. I had picked up almost 200 pounds. I carry lots of spares & some LONG anchor / towing lines. Just lots of extra lines, anchors, clothes, toolbox, anchor winch. Will add 2 trolling motors & a larger / another battery.

In a 2002 186 SSI. Small boat. Now will have 250# extra ??