4 hp rebuild?

mrbrink

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,
I've got an early 90's 4 hp, 2 stroke yamaha outboard. About 8 years ago, the water pump failed while I was on the lake and it got so hot it seized up. Once it cooled, it free'd itself up, but was never the same. I pulled it out of the garage today and tore it down, the piston is destroyed, the exhaust ports cut some pretty bad grooves in it. I found a new piston on ebay, but my concern is the jug. It doesn't have any nasty grooves in it, but around the ports it is a little scarred up. I think if I honed it, it would smooth out nicely. I would just replace it but I can't find a replacement. My questions is, try honing or does someone know of a place I can get a new one? This has been a great little engine and is in near new condition, I can't see just scrapping it
Thanks in advance,
James

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 4 hp rebuild?

The depth and location of the grooves is important and a photo would help. Maybe you could just smooth any bad spots around the ports with some emory cloth, install the new piston and you might be O.K. I'd take some special care and time around the ports so there's nothing there to snag a piston ring! Like I said, a photo would help a lot! Good Luck!:)

raczekp1

Lieutenant

3 wayas to solwe this

1. order new oversize piston and rings,
rebore cylinder and instal new piston and new seals

2.look on ebay for used powerhead and swith powerhead-its common motor so its easy to find good powerhead

3.sell motor for parts(incom +- 200$) and get new motor

new parts on www boats dot net( dot=.)//i dont know why i cant copy www adres
or crowleymarine.com

tpenfield

Staff member

Money-wise, you are better off getting a similar vintage motor that is in good shape. If it is a labor of love, then maybe bore the cylinder and over-sized piston as previously mentioned. You may be $500 into it after it is all said & done.