New Vinyl and Helm Seats

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Ok, not much of a poster...but I do read and have learned more than I can remember.

Thought I'd pass along some pictures of my new interior vinyl. The helm seats were purchased from www.veada.com (they ship for free and can custom order from their selection of vinyl colors.

It was my first time ever using a sewing machine or cutting patterns...I think it turned out pretty good. I wanted a cleaner yet classic look to the vinyl. The photos are a little fuzzy due to me running inside to get camera, then taking the pics when it was 42 degrees out.

The new panels are exterior grade 1/2" plywood with new SS t-nuts and hardware and new foam.
BoatPanels.jpg

New Cooler cover (i covered the underside as well as this is most subject to getting wet in bigger waves.
CoolerTop.jpg

CoolerUnderside.jpg

The rear bench seat, bow seats and bow back rest,
Rear-BowBoatSeats.jpg

Bow area installed.
DSCN0910.jpg

Overview shot.
DSCN0911.jpg

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Re: New Vinyl and Helm Seats

New captain's helm seat.
DSCN0913.jpg

New passenger helm seat.
DSCN0914.jpg

New Bench seat installed
DSCN0915.jpg

Side panels.
DSCN0917.jpg

DSCN0916.jpg

Cooler cover.
DSCN0918.jpg

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow Baja looks amazing , nice work .You just gave me some ideas, I am playing with my upholstery until the cold spell goes away. I am a first timer too at upholstery, but I find it pretty easy to catch on if you take your time.
Thanks for sharing your project as it gives us more options

Cheers

Jack

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Outstanding, did you get the vinyl from the same place as the seats?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Outstanding, did you get the vinyl from the same place as the seats?

Yes, price was on par with everywhere else I looked! $13.00/yard (54"x36") I used nylon upholstery thread (some suggested bonded polyester?) I bought 8 yards of the white, 1 yard of grey and 2 yards of red. 2 seats (driver's with flip-up bolster), 2 seat swivels...spent a total of $652.00 from veada and another $150 for hardware, wood and foam.

Here's a picture of the actual boat. It's a 1982 Baja BR184 with a 200 black max (rebuilt in 2007) runs about 62mph on gps speedo with a stainless steel 21P prop.
PuebloBoat8_13_2-112.jpg

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm usually pretty critical of the DIY vinyl work I've seen on here (although I generally keep my opinions to myself on that). Yeah I agree, it does not look quite factory, however, you really did an amazing job and it does look very very good. Better than 90% of what I've seen attempted here. Great job! The boat is a real stunner now for sure.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks great i am going to give it a try myself and my seating is pretty much or will be pretty much the same configuration as yours. It was good seeing how much vinyl you used i was trying to thing how i was going to figure out how much i would need thanks for that
What kind of sewing machine did you use ?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

What kind of sewing machine did you use ?

Thanks for all the kind words!

The sewing machine I used is like a 1940's White-Westinghouse...as basic as it gets. Had it's shortcomings, but once I figured out how to make it do what I wanted, it did a good job. As I have said, the job is not perfect, but what I learned and saved I could recover everything at least 2 more times before I would be into it for what a true professional would charge=experience!

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Super job. If you had posted the pictures with a different topic, I'll bet most of us would have assumed it was a professional job.

I'm hoping the vinyl on our project turns out this well.

I used veada a well and I have had 3 summers of hard use and my seats are still holding up very well. They have great service and are very reasonably priced.

Great work! Congrats for taking on such a large project!

I can't wait to see the look on your face when someone tries to step on your new seats with their shoes on!?!?? : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I can't wait to see the look on your face when someone tries to step on your new seats with their shoes

Is it normal that even now in January it keeps me awake at night thinking of a solution for that potential situation? Maybe I should make some new vinyl covers to protect my new vinyl covers? Sad thing is most will understand what I mean? Anyway, I'm not to particular about dirt/sand and the like...I have 2 young kids, 2 dogs and a wife that thinks a boat is merely a code word for door mat (and a garage means a place to put things she doesn't want in the house...except there better be room for her 4runner!) if you read a headline from Colorado that says something like "Man kills fellow lake goer because he didn't remove shoes!" or "woman now footless because of dirt in boat" I hope you all don't think of me!? :D

Ciao,
Brett

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey, No Worries. By then, you'll have the skills to recover them for practically Nothing and no time!!!!!!:p:eek::D

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

That's the result of the first time you've ever used a sewing machine? Holy cow you're a fast learner! Just awesome!

Burglary5%

Cadet

Thanks for the pics, I am going to be going for a more updated look in mine as well. I have it gutted now and will be starting to replace all the wood soon. Yours looks great I hope I come close, when I get going on it I will post a thread.