questions

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a 93 holiday 19 ft. with a 4 cyl engine. Now I have questions! If any one can answer I'd appreciate it.

1. How do you check a transom?

2. Why do I have a thread adapter on port side gunnel that says waste? There is no head or sink as its not a cuddy but close bow.

3. How do I mount a kicker mount so it don't leak or develop corrosion?

4. what sort of preformance and wave handling should I expect with this. 4 cyl 180 hp

5.How big of gas tank

6. how big are those two live wells under seats?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: questions

I bought a 93 holiday 19 ft. with a 4 cyl engine. Now I have questions! If any one can answer I'd appreciate it.

1. How do you check a transom?

2. Why do I have a thread adapter on port side gunnel that says waste? There is no head or sink as its not a cuddy but close bow.

3. How do I mount a kicker mount so it don't leak or develop corrosion?

4. what sort of preformance and wave handling should I expect with this. 4 cyl 180 hp

5.How big of gas tank

6. how big are those two live wells under seats?

1. You really want to poke around with a screwdriver down at the very bottom of the transom, around the outdrive cutout, in the corners, places like that.

2. Dunno about that?? Maybe at some point there was a head installed maybe?

3. All stainless steel fasteners and holes get coated/sealed with 3m 5200

4. Great on gas, lots o power for that boat! That particular driveline has some quirks though. It would be wise to spend some time over here just to become familiar with what you have there.

5. Hard to say, but just a totally wild guess would be somewhere in the 22 - 28 gallon range.

6. Well, you could take some measurements. 1 cubic foot is just about 7.5 gallons

Welcome aboard!!:)

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the info and the welcome. Looking forward to putting this in the water. Well I use to be a auto mechanic so I know some on the motor. Is the out drive a big deal tearing down and checking. I would prefer do do my own work if its possible le with out to much special tools or knowledge.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Is the out drive a big deal tearing down and checking.

The outdrive is a tricky one. I have yet to tackle mine but...

If it's in need of an impeller I believe that is a reasonable job for a rookie like me. For you, cake.

Work beyond that (like rebuilding) parts can add up quick. SEI offers a brand new drive for $1200ish, 3 year no fault warranty which becomes very appealing as the work and $ pile up, ya know.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Guys! Well I'm going to try. Right now installing a new set of pro trollers and a kicker bracket and a 8hp Yamaha.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Welcome aboard
To properly completley tear down the outdrive, you will need some specialized mercruiser tools that are $$$$
Unless your going to do outdrives for a living, if there are BIG problems with the outdrive, a new SEI or a good slightly used one on C/L is the way to go.

Regular maint such as water pumps, impellers and such are easily done with normal tools

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry it took so long to get back. But wanted to be sure all was ok. So put it in Erie at the dock this year and ran it quite a bit. Last week it came home, Seems my seal job was fine and impeller and all. Had removed and resealed the whole out drive and replaced impeller and all. Lined up the motor just like instructed. No water in boat (except for the normal soaked in rain) Oil is clean and motor is running smooth. Thanks for all the help guys. But i have been listing and i didnt change bellows as they looked good. Sure wish I had. Wondering is that a big job?

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh and some answers for others who are like me and don't know. Erie's a rough lake! LOL! Respect it or die simple as that. My boat was put to the test this year. Luckily not till i got a few month's in with it. Found 2-3 footers the most i wanted to fish, comfortably. All though i did get quite a few In as big as 5's. But there are difference on Erie, So a comfortable 3 could beat you to death the next day with different winds and rollers. I had asked how big of waves my boat could handle. I feel know it can literally handle more then me! LOL! I came in on 7-8's one day with a death grip and lots of doubts. But the boat managed. If it would have happened earlier in the season i doubt it would have. So get use to calm and work your way up slowly. Because the captain is more important then the boat. I also had my safety equipment and was wearing my preserver. Have a good radio and a good gps mapper. Some times rain and fog are as bad as complete darkness. And your previous marks will get you home. OH yes motor always 100% because loss of power will sink you right now in pretty small waves. OK Off my soap box.