Speaker Upgrade

hpeeler

Seaman Apprentice
As a winter project, I'm planning to upgrade the speakers in our '06 Q6. I would like to add 2 more in the bow and wonder if anyone has done this. If I use a wire snake will I be able to feed the wire from the starboard side through the bow around to the head unit on the port side? Also if you added an amp, where did you mount it? I was thinking under the port side console.
Thanks

splicer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Speaker Upgrade

I just picked up 4 Polk marine speakers for the same project. I'm planning on running them off the head unit for now, and replacing the head unit soon. If I do an amp, I'm thinking about fiberglassing a mounting board in under the port side console.

hpeeler

Seaman Apprentice

Going with Polk speakers as well and now am trying to decide where to mount the amp. I thought about putting it in the engine compartment on the port side. I know nothing about all this audio stuff so I don't know if that will work or not. Will I need a separate battery for the amp?

On the water

Cadet

I mounted my amp (Exile Audio) in the port-side locker, directly underneath the stereo. I chose to mount mine to a piece of pressure treated plywood, which I then bolted right below the stereo. For me, it was easier to mount the amp to a piece of plywood and use double-nutted bolts to securely fasten the wood to the locker given the curvature of the mounting wall (it is the inside of the foot well on the passenger seat). It was also easier to simply run the power/ground wires from the locker back to the engine compartment (I used seperate, 8 guage wire for this given the power use of the amp) instead of having to run RCA jacks and speaker wire back there. I already have 2 batteries on a Perko switch installed, so I didn't have to worry about whether to run a second. I can say that using the amp at moderate volumes with the engine off hasn't drained the battery to point that it wouldn't crank.

Last edited: