Thinking about a video camera -- recommendations?

lakelover

Rear Admiral
I know this is like asking "What kind of boat should I get?" but here's the thing.

I am currently using my point & shoot still camera for videos, and they're passable (barely) but I want to be able to shoot better video. You can see the pretty crummy quality here, and this is one of the better ones:

The use would be posting on the web and just viewing on a computer, and I want to have sharp vids, but not necessarily HD. No viewing device I own is HD. One problem I have with the current camera is that I can't see the LCD at all outside on a bright day when shooting.

So what do you all use and what features do you like to have?

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Thinking about a video camera -- recommendations?

I have a GoPro HD and absolutely love it. Going to use it on the boat this year. I mainly use it for my motorcycle and a couple other things right now. They do not come with a view finder but the camera has such a wide angle lense you would have to have the thing pointed behind you to miss something. They do sell a LCD screen for it though for an extra $79 or something like that.

You dont need an HD viewing device to appreciate the camera either. The standard gopro is a bit fuzzy and choppy. The HD is crystal clear beautiful no matter what you watch it on.

It has a waterproof case as well so you can dive with it, hook it up to a downrigger, etc :) TONS of options with it. It also takes amazing still photos manually or automatically at certain intervals that you choose.

Here is a couple vids of mine with it...

Watch these in HD to see what the camera is capable of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wnqKq1aQww

This is combo of vid and still photos all from GoPro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VFmWm7rAew

and here are some still photos I turned into a little vid. All photos taken with the GoPro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz7oPVdesFU

UncleWillie

Captain

You are obviously disatisfied with the point and shoot cameras.
The biggest shortcoming is generally the viewfinder.
Holding a camera at arms length is possible the worst way to do it.

#1 ... Get a Camera with an optical view finder. Now keep repeating that untill it sinks in.

All the other options that will come with it will be more that you will use today. But you will never regret it.

When you hold a camera up to your face and look through it, your brain and all your motor functions become part of the camera.
The picture stops shaking. The horizontals stop rolling. You can pan and zoom without loosing the subject.
Sunlight becomes your friend, and darkness isn't as dark as it was.
Also, weight is your friend! The larger and heavier the camera is the more stable it is.
Watch any of the Discovery Channel reality shows where they do not go completely out their way to keep the production crews out of the shots. Their cameras are shoulder mounted for a reason. Stability.

You are not likely to be buying a comercial grade camera, but putting one on a on a "Gun Stock" will do wonders.

Consider the digital SLR w/Video option. Canon EOS Rebel T3 or the 5D or 60D if it is in the budget.
The 5D has been used to film complete television shows. Google "Canon 5D Wikipedia". Amazing!

Nikon and others make similar products.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've been using a Flip Video HD for a year or so. About $150. Absolutely love it. About the same size as my cell phone. Always handy.

+1 on the comment that you don't need an HD viewer to appreciate the capture quality.

Good luck in your search.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess this puts me on a research project! :D

My P&S does have an optical viewfinder to use, and its highest video quality is 640 pxl wide @ 30 fps. In video mode, it has 2x digital zoom, but the optical zoom is disabled. One of the main things I hate about it is if you get a light source in the picture,it gives a bright magenta line running top to bottom. The instruction manual even says it will do this.

I'll use it until I come up with something a little better. I don't want to be paying for features I'll never use either.

Time to start googling :p:p:p !

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We have a flip and it only cost about 70 bucks. works great and you can even capture still shots from the videos .