Poll: Whats your favorite OMC fishing engine?

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class
Vote for your favorite FISHING engine!

So many things to consider on this, but my choice is base on several factors:

Reliability
Power
Ease of starting and operating
Low profile
Low speed (trolling)

Secondary considerations:
Ease of service and parts availlability( this is related to reliability)
Fuel economy
Weight ( when traveling)
Shallow water drive.

My first choice is my 9.9/15, the 1974-6 models. The 1977 and later are a liability to me due to the unrelaible ignition "power pack".
Second choice is the CD series with a fuel pump conversion, only down fall here is the 5.5 is low on power, and 25:1 (oil glutton).

kbait

Commander
Re: Poll: Whats your favorite OMC fishing engine?

If I'm fishing in a little jon, gimme any J/E 3hp from '52-'67 and one gallon of extra fuel. Good for a 3 day weekend!

For my 14' alumacraft deep/wide, my '80 15hp is perfect. Trolls EXTREMELY slowly and pushes 2 of us + gear to 20mph to get to the next spot, all while just sipping the fuel. I did cook the original cdi box, but I assume the new one will last another 30 years..

CD/AD's are really nice for the weight. Very quiet/economical. I don't mind the pressure tank w/new hose and o-rings. QD's are a bit heavier, but you really get a good bang/lb, (fastwin -even more wt, but power!).

Roy Wirebaugh

Seaman

I would have to say my 68 20 HP. It starts easy no matter how cold or hot it is outside. Great for duck hunting. It trolls just as good as my trolling motor. When using smaller Jon boat we take my 59 golden jubilee 10 horse. Sweet motor, just doesn't get used alot anymore..

kfa4303

Banned

I agree. My '66 20 hp is a gem. It's very plucky on the top end and I've got her dialed in pretty good such that I can get a nice low, quite idle. I also had a '62 10 hp that was great too. Although, it did have some clutch dog issues, but nothing major. I wish they were the late 50's, two tone models, for cosmetic reasons, but as motors they're both awesome and the white fiberglass cowl is kind of growing in me and matches my boat, so I guess I can't complain. Both of them are fun, cheap, reliable and easy to work on when need be. I also had an old Big Twin that was great, but BIG and hungry. Fun for zooming around, but not so much for trolling/fishing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Vote for your favorite FISHING engine!

So many things to consider on this, but my choice is base on several factors:

Reliability
Power
Ease of starting and operating
Low profile
Low speed (trolling)

Secondary considerations:
Ease of service and parts availlability( this is related to reliability)
Fuel economy
Weight ( when traveling)
Shallow water drive.

My first choice is my 9.9/15, the 1974-6 models. The 1977 and later are a liability to me due to the unrelaible ignition "power pack".
Second choice is the CD series with a fuel pump conversion, only down fall here is the 5.5 is low on power, and 25:1 (oil glutton).

Boy, we have a disagreement there!! 1974-76 9.9 and 15 would be one of my last choices. Plug fouling lemons, they were. And I'll take the Mag CD over that Lo-Tension magneto with the sloppy armature plate on the 9.9-15 any day.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Three to six HP from 1965 to 1990.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

For a small John boat, a 1954 - 58 CD/Ad

For one slightly bigger, 1957 58 Fastwin

Thirdly, a Big Twin class 1957 - 59

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I don't fish so I can't vote. LOL.

nwcove

Admiral

i just love my cd 14, with the pressure tank. smooth, quiet, low idle.....and just enough smoke to keep the bugs at bay.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

9.9/15 hp made in 1974-1992

rolmops

Vice Admiral

My favorite is my 1964 (1963?) 9.5 Evinrude. It is probably the only longshaft 9.5 with remote control on the east coast of the USA.
I use it as a trolling motor on Lake Ontario pushing a 19 foot Sylvan with downriggers, dipsydivers 450 foot of copper and otterboards often in over 3 foot waves pulling riggers that are 100 foot or more down. It is an extremely reliable and powerful piece of engineering that won't let you down.One time, I had it running on one cylinder only and it never konked out on me unlike my 75 horse merc which is a bit moody at times.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Love the little 6hp fisherman

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class

My `69 johnson 20 hp.

fireman57

Captain

My '92 25hp Johnny. started cold with the touch of the key, idled all day no smoke, and when you hit the throttle it WENT!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

My favorite?? I guess "it depends". For a smooth running, carryable, easy start, quiet, easy to service, in the 5hp range, I would say the 1960-63 Gale motors. Second would be the 5.5 Evinrudes with fiberglass hoods. Metal hoods looked good but rattled. Johnson fiberglass hoods fitted terribly. Gale fits the best.

10hp range would be the 1961-63 Evinrude Sportwins. They finally got the wrist pin bearing problem fixed and same comments for the hoods. In times past, my vote would have gone to the 9.5hp. It meets the stated requirements, including the low profile, shallow water drive requirements. But in 2012, it flunks on ease of working on it and parts availability test.

15-18hp, Gale and Evinrude again.

And of course, I missed the Lightwin/JW 3hp weedless motors. Sweet running motors with weedless drive. Slow as snail poop, but who's in a hurry...or get a bigger motor.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The 80s 50-70 horse are really good engines, simple as a stone to work on and they are bullit proof with lots of power and only 2-3 cylinders to worry about.

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1958 Johnson or evenrude 18 with a 20 carb quiet,excellent trolling,last year dicast hood,light weight and first year thermostat

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The 80s 50-70 horse are really good engines, simple as a stone to work on and they are bullit proof with lots of power and only 2-3 cylinders to worry about.

"Fishing engine"??? I guess it depends on what you are fishing for. Bream or Tuna? Or them 100 MPH Basses.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

All OMC 4hp 6hp 9.9hp and 20hp dating in the 80's ... notice I did not mention the 15hp, great to get to the fishing spot but ultra rough idling . Owned all of them.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I had a '69 9.5 Johnson too that was a really good engine so I will vote for that one instead, I have a fishing boat that has a 50 on it and it won't even close to 40 much less 100.