problems shifting the gears

juanete

Recruit
I have a 4stroke 8hp 2006 mercury. When I shift from neutral to forward and try to shift back to neutral the engine shifts to reverse and not to neutral. Also its very difficult to shift the gears and sometimes it wont go into reverse. I beleive that the problem is in the lower unit part and has to do wuth the rod that shifts the gears. What part has to be replaced or fixed?

brandon110

Seaman
Re: problems shifting the gears

sounds like it needs shift adjustment. but i would drain the gear oil from the lowerunit and check for metal in the oil. if the oil looks good i would say the gearcase is more then likely ok and i would move on to a shift adjustment. if shift adjstment isnt working you might want to get a new tiller handle shaft i have had several where the pressed on plastic part that is on the shaft had turned on the shaft and it looks ok just looking at it but the shift will be all messed up.

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

does it grind at all? any unusual sounds? I would drain the lower unit aswell, even if the problem isn't in the case the problem may have worn some gears and you atleast want to get the filings out of there.

cr2k

Captain

Is the idle speed low enough?