Time for a new boat

Sadly, my 1986 Johnson 70HP has died. Funeral is next week if ya'll are interested in attending. She gave up the ghost while screaming across Sexton Cove in Key Largo. It was a valiant fight and I was proud of her. We puddled back with the help of her sister, a smaller electric troller, but it was 3 hours of meditative contemplation of some great fishing trips within the confines of a beautiful sun drenched and cool day.

With that, I have grieved and decided it is time to move on. I will sell the tinnie for what I can and return to my roots of glass. Maybe a 17 footer, a Key West or perhaps a Mako--I haven't decided.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Time for a new boat

Hey, don'thave, why not go for a boat that will last the rest of your life? A Boston Whaler Montauk from the 80s or 90s is perfect for your locale.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My condolences to you and your Johnson. Good luck finding a new boat.

Thanks everyone.

AM...I had a BW a while back and loved it. I lived in the Keys and docked it at my place. Not there any longer and towing 22 feet of boat was a pain so I sold it. Loved the boat however and that's a great suggestion.

southkogs

Staff member

I'm with JB - go back to the Whaler. That Montauk is on my "want one" list too.

BTW - I can tell you're a writer. Great description of the final voyage of the Johnson.

Philster

Captain

Lots o' Whaler love; never got it.

Follow through on the Key West or Mako. Enjoy the shopping experience, and don't get too nostalgic or you'll be out there hanging onto the engine cowling like a depressed drunk hugging the toilet.