Those Darn Squirrels

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I live in a wooded area and store my trailer in a carport built in the back yard. I noticed over the weekend that squirrels, for the second time, have chewed my trailers electrical wires in two. The wires are encased front to back in black plastic loom but even that did not stop the squirrel. Any suggestions on a product out there to protect the wires any better or a way to rodent proof the exposed wires?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Those Darn Squirrels

I have heard(be careful now) that you can get a grease lined loom similar to whats used in engine compartments that is very good against rodent damage, I know the type but I hate the mess of installing it, worth a try?

halfmoa

Ensign

You could go with galvanized EMT counduit. It'd be cheaper than the sleeving but still requires removal of the wire. It would look sharp if properly done....

UncleWillie

Captain

Have you considerd removing the squirrels?
If you live in a wooded area, squirrels are good eating. ;)

If that idea leaves a bad taste in your mouth, a "HavaHart" trap and some peanut butter, will get them relocated quickly.
You don't need to clean out the whole neighborhood, only the one that has a taste for the plastic on the wires.

halfmoa

Ensign

Have you considerd removing the squirels?
If you live in a wooded area, squirels are good eating. ;)

If that idea leaves a bad taste in your mouth, a "HavaHart" trap and some peanut butter, will get them relocated quickly.
You don't need to clean out the whole neighborhood, only the one that has a taste for the plastic on the wires.

I can't get past the taste of squirrels here. They taste like the black walnuts they eat. Black walnut flavored fudge: good. Black walnut flavored squirrel: slightly disturbing.

southkogs

Staff member

.22 + squirrel = no problem

Repeat as necessary.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Place wires in plastic bag putting around conduit with moth balls in bag. Even throw a few around they try and eat them but get sick, that is what keeps them away.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

.22 + squirrel = no problem

Repeat as necessary.

Believe me, there is no love lost between me and the squirrels. I have taken many over the years, but there always seems to be another waiting to move in. I keep a pellet rifle by my sliding door just for that purpose. They must be getting to it during the day when I am at work.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

The dog takes care of keeping them away, but the neighbor's tom cat is always a welcome site.
Cleans them out in a couple of days.
:D

southkogs

Staff member

Believe me, there is no love lost between me and the squirrels. I have taken many over the years, but there always seems to be another waiting to move in. I keep a pellet rifle by my sliding door just for that purpose. They must be getting to it during the day when I am at work.

I was just being a stinker - I know they can be a pain. Friend of mine is dealing with flying squirrels chewing on his log home - cleans 'em off with a rifle with a night scope!

The dog takes care of keeping them away, but the neighbor's tom cat is always a welcome site.
Cleans them out in a couple of days.
:D

That's a thought. For all the things I don't like about our cat, she does a pretty top shelf job nailing moles. We don't get many squirrels at our place, but I've got two dogs running around too.

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you considerd removing the squirrels?
If you live in a wooded area, squirrels are good eating. ;)

Squirrel pie is actually pretty good. However on the second part of your suggestion however be cautious and check within your local laws. Here in Mass it is actually illegal to relocate wildlife. Just a heads up.

UncleWillie

Captain

... Here in Mass it is actually illegal to relocate wildlife. Just a heads up.

It is illegal here in Ohio also, and I'll bet in every other state too!
But then, if you are just taking your "Pet Squirrel" out for a drive in the country and he happens to run away .....

Choose your battles carefully, be discrete, and above all use good sense.
My grandfather used to say, ?It Ain?t Illegal if you don?t get caught!?
There is a bit of truth in that, but it sure wouldn?t hold up in court. :D

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

You can pick up split loom wire covers at most any auto parts places to slip over existing wiring and you could fill it with vasaline and that should end it.

cyclops2

Banned

The problem Is NOT the animal.

It is the stupid JERKS who ORDERED that electrical wires of all types be made with SOY products !!

Fact... Ask Power & light & phone company people.

Well the SEC & Commodities people made a killing in the price of SOY. My phone line to the street is changed every 3 years.

Might as well make concrete with SOBO glue.

Anything to make a fast buck is allowed. Ask Wall Street.

cyclops2

Banned

Mice also eat overhead door wire insulation & thermostat wire insulation.

Run all the wires IN side the frame. Cap the open ends with simple metal plates. Go to H D & buy a 4" x 4" waterproof outdoor junction box. Usually Aluminum. Coil the connector inside of it when not needed.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not exactly what you're asking, but a tip - quite a few years back, I got sick of mice chewing through all my wires, and ran them all in EMT on 3 trailers. A few years later, I was replacing the wires as they had chafed through the insulation inside the EMT. Now I still run them in emt, but fill the EMT (once the wires are run through) with expanding foam. Haven't rewired them in a while now.

As for squirrels - one more tip. Put a bed of potatoes, carrots, and onions on some aluminum foil. Add a couple pads of butter. Place squirrel backstraps on top of veggies. Season to taste. Close up the aluminum foil and put it on the grill for about 45 min. The veggies steam the meat and it comes out great. Only way I'll cook them now (and I get 40 - 50 a year).

cyclops2

Banned

I have 2 more to kill. They are digging up the place hiding nuts. They can be fun. Better on a dinner.:)

vogelfish

Cadet

Squirrels are like water... if ya got a hole in the bottom of your boat - pump all you want but as soon as you stop it fills up again.... best bet is plug the hole. I use 3/8 hardware cloth and a staple gun for my shed. The squirrel real estate agent has moved next door....