Are PFD's Machine Washable?

kshelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anybody tossed their moldy, nastly PFD's in their washing machine? The only instructions I see on my PFD's say "Do Not Dry Clean". Should I assume that machine washing is OK? I'm so glad I'm at the point where I can ask such trivial questions about my boat!!!!

ob

Admiral
Re: Are PFD's Machine Washable?

I've used 50/50 bleach and water in a spray bottle and let sit for a few minutes and then rinse them off with a garden hose.<br /><br />I don't think a washing machine would work too good unless they were PSD's. :p

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Yes they are washable but that wont get the mold out.Try the 50/50 bleach method but you may have to use a brush to get rid of it.You may want to wash them after that so they will get thoroughly rinsed as well.Charlie

Drowned Rat

Captain

Your typical "agitator" style washing machines are not suited to wash life jackets. The agitator will break down the flotation material causing it to absorb water. It can also move it around in the jacket making big lumps in some places and no flotation in others. 50/50 bleach is too strong. I'd use a 10% solution, anything stronger and it will degrade the fabric and possibly fade it. Typically a 10% bleach solution with Dish detergent added for the wash followed by a dip in UV sunbloc solution, then rinse, is the way to go. That's the way we do it for white water rafting in Grand Canyon. About 45 jackets a week. Works great. :)