New v. Rebuilt Longblock-Thoughts/suggestion?

jgresham75

Seaman
I am replacing a 99 GM engine. Looking at buying either new GM marine longblock or rebuilt longblock. There are some things such as price, warranty and quality of the rebuild to consider. Does anyone have any other words of wisdom to help in a purchase such as this?

(Current block has already been rebuilt once and cannot be rebuilt again-bored 40 over.)

Thanks in advance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New v. Rebuilt Longblock-Thoughts/suggestion?

Most of the popular rebuilders talked about on this site really don't take that much care in rebuilding. They can't for the prices they charge for the engines. They are all bored .060 over and new pistons and rings installed. No measuring or excess sizes of parts to keep in stock, they are all .060 over. Neither Mercruiser nor Volvo recommend going over .030 on a rebuild. Your choice, and they all will replace them till it runs right and most people are happy with them.
Personally, I would either rebuild my own, buy a new Volvo longblock or a Merc reman if available. That would be my only choices.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New v. Rebuilt Longblock-Thoughts/suggestion?

I bought a project boat knowing that the motor may need to be rebuilt cause a freeze plug was blown out the back. They had jb welded this block so i decided to look for a different block. I bought one that needed a rebuild for 100.00 all the pistons were froze up in the cylinders. I had to have it bored .030 over to get all the rust out of the cylinders, but have had a good time doing it and if you are like me when that thing turned over and started I adjusted the timing and she was purring like a kitten and i had less the $750 in it i was able to look down and say I knew I could do it. I made a few mistakes like ordering parts before i know what i needed ie. Pistons and rings and bearings and then had to have allot of machine work done that made all those parts useless and now i have pistons for a 3.0LX rings and bearings that i cant use. Then i hooked up the exhaust riser with out the gasket because the riser had to come off before the motor could be put back in the boat and because it leaked like i sieve i filled my cylinders full of water. If i ever have to rebuild again i wont make the same mistake twice. It has been a learning but fun experience. This is the only experience rebuilding a motor i have ever had and thanks to don s and others here that are willing to answer any questions you have, I am glad I did it.

Look for an old motor that needs to be rebuilt. Yes you take a little bit of a chance that the block is not usable, but if it is you have all the other externals dizy alt start etc. I guess for me in came down to money and i thought i could do it myself for the difference in what a running one would cost. Now I know what is in the motor i have cause i put it there.