Quicksilver cylinder head??

in to deep

Seaman
Hello does any one know anything about these QUICKSILVER CYLINDER HEAD ???
replacment for the 3.0L 181 engines??
are the a true replacement or for a differant 3.0L??

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Quicksilver cylinder head??

Ayuh,... Whaycha workin' on,..??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's a GM cylinder head for a 3.0L GM engine. Mercruiser (aka Quicksilver) does not make cylinder heads, they buy from GM and resell. You do need to get the proper 3.0L head for your engine as the heads, like most things in life, have changed over the years.

in to deep

Seaman

i got a 1979 omc chevy 181 3.0L 140hp engine with a cracked head i was wondering if the valves and spring and seals and freeze plug
from the old head will work with this Quicksilver head or do they take differant parts??
found a new bare head for $199.99 plus shipping

Quicksilver Part Number 936-5544
Replaces 2.5L/3.0L I4 GM 1968-95 (non MerCruiser LX models) 1968-95

Please check compatibility od Quicksilver part number with a local dealer/web site/etc for your application before buying - We cannot guarantee compatibility of any part for any application. Head still in wooden crates from Quicksilver.valves not installed

do you all think this will work on my engine????

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i got a 1979 omc chevy 181 3.0L 140hp engine with a cracked head i was wondering if the valves and spring and seals and freeze plug
from the old head will work with this Quicksilver head or do they take differant parts??
found a new bare head for $199.99 plus shipping

Quicksilver Part Number 936-5544
Replaces 2.5L/3.0L I4 GM 1968-95 (non MerCruiser LX models) 1968-95

Please check compatibility od Quicksilver part number with a local dealer/web site/etc for your application before buying - We cannot guarantee compatibility of any part for any application. Head still in wooden crates from Quicksilver.valves not installed

do you all think this will work on my engine????

I know nothing specific to either your engine or that head...
But in general you couldn't just swap the parts at home and expect good results. The old valves if good still need to be reground, springs need to be checked for proper pressure, installed height needs to be determined and shimmed appropriately. The casting is the expensive part generally, so its best to use new valves and springs. Retainers and keepers are generally OK to reuse.

Don S

I agree with Joe, the valves have to be faced on a valve grinding machine, and the edge dimension has to be in specs, the same with the valve stem height and diameter, the springs have to be checked, and no you can't reuse core plugs. From the description, I would get the valve seats checked too. They may not be ground at all, just installed.

in to deep

Seaman

I understand what you are saying! i have been a mechanic for may years!!
i am just worried that this head uses differant size parts other then what i have??
it list this head for the chevy 181 3.0L engine and the model year is in range 1979
just wondering if you all this it is a safe buy and not a jack in the box surprize that is differant and wont use the size
of the same parts i have or will replace
SORRY FOR POSTING THE LINK

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUICKSILVER...875139&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr

do you think this is the same head i have minus the valves and springs

THANK FOR YOU HELP GUYS Bill

Don S

Compare casting numbers of the head.

in to deep

Seaman

i can not find the web site for quicksilver to check casting numbers
casting on my head is #2776954 and my fingers are getting cramped from looking at web sites im seeing everything in fours

fishrdan

Admiral

What does your current head port configuration look like?

marine-manifold-gaskets.jpg

Make sure the new head's port configuration matches, hard to see exactly what it looks like from the Ebay link.....

in to deep

Seaman

ok been at this all day the casting #2776954 is on my head the manifold is this one
Manifold Exhaust OMC GM 181 140 HP 3.0L Part Number: BAROMC-1-984054

BAROMC-1-984054.jpg

OSCMO4-GH.jpg

and this looks like the gasket
and it has the Rochester 2 BBL Carburetor

ya i have looked at that head at PPT at $ 400.00 plus shipping for a reman. i think i would be best to spen a bit more and go new
unless i can find a good used head then send it in for a rebuild
the thing is this motor only has less then 200 hours on it!! you can still see the cross hatch pattern in the cylinders!!! just sucks
that 2/3 of that time was in the ocean and the drain valves rusted up still kicking myself in the fanny for that!!!!!!
i would say not bad for a 1979 motor

in to deep

Seaman

the casting number on the quicksilver head is the same casting number as is on my old head
soi take it that this would be a safe buy???

Bondo

Staff member

the casting number on the quicksilver head is the same casting number as is on my old head

Yes...

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The link in post #2 is a much better deal as it is ready to bolt on and all new.

in to deep

Seaman

i found a chevy 3.0L 181 head rebuilt for $200.00 but it is a small port head would that be for the 153cid 2.5L???
talked to a friend from the past he still works at a parts store he can get me the new springs and valves for about $50.00
the machine shop in town said they could grind the valves and do a quick lapping $75.00 and put it all back together
$325.00 for a new head almost??
if i were to get the new head above for $199.99 and free shipping