question about electric power winches.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Have any one tried the power winch advertise as the Trac Electric trailer Winch sold by Overton. ? It's rated to pull up to a 24 ft boat and 5,000 lbs on a flat bunk trailer ? I have an old 10,000 lb.one now, but it grinds like crazy.

cyclops2

Banned
Re: question about electric power winches.

I have not.

A dragging winch is simple & can be from Harbor Fright.
Winches on trailers need enough battery power. I recommend that NO ONE ever taps into ANY circuit in the back of their Vehicle. If a circuit breaker or fuse does not trip. The car gets a new wiring harness in parts of it.

A locked metal box with a TRAILER WINCH BATTERY is the way to fly. Most modern winches all have circuit breaker, level winders, (they prevent one coil going across the next one) & have safe limit switches & a load holding brake. It is hard not to find a very good one.

I suggest you go to ******** & read some of the problems compared to the praises.
It does not mention a level wind drum & cable. No limit switches. No holding brake

The brake IS MANDATORY on roller trailers. Even on Teflon covered bunk types or at steep ramp angles.

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I disagree with a TRAILER WINCH BATTERY get a warn winch connector kit for the back of your truck, if they are good for a 12000 lb truck winch no sweat with a little trailer winch, that and dunking your battery in and out of the water isn't good for you or the lake

go direct to the battery and have a fuse

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I disagree with a TRAILER WINCH BATTERY get a warn winch connector kit for the back of your truck, if they are good for a 12000 lb truck winch no sweat with a little trailer winch, that and dunking your battery in and out of the water isn't good for you or the lake

go direct to the battery and have a fuse

The warn kits are also $250 or more... A cheap battery will last a LONG time, and if you are getting it wet, something is seriously wrong in the whole unloading process.

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mine was $40 at a local lordco

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

having the battery on the trailer is a VERY good idea.... Having an rv 7 round plug with a 12v positive terminal will keep the batt charged but a circuit breaker is needed at the front.... The plugs can be purchased cheap but the (I'd use 2 gauge) cable to the battery is expensive and needs to be carefully mounted and protected......

Either method will work but my preference (If I was gonna have an electric winch) is having a battery on the trailer charged by the truck.... just like the batts in my 38' fifth wheel and the break away batt on my 12 ton pintle trailer. There is absolutely no reason to dunk the batt on the trailer but sealed batts and sealed batt boxes are readily available

cyclops2

Banned

The solution most flat ramped people go with who use battery acid batteries is to mount the battery as close to the winch as possible.

1 Guy at our place has a different setup in his big rig. The battery is at the rear of the bed & charged Like Smokes way. He has a power cable with a plug that joins one the trailer. Reason The battery & winch are....HUGE... like from a diesel tractor.

So many ways to do any thing. & most are OK.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

mine was $40 at a local lordco

For the connector or the entire kit with wiring? That is a really good price if it includes wiring, as you need some serious size wire, like 2 gauge. That stuff alone is a couple bucks a foot usually.

cyclops2

Banned

The Warn site has great specifications on the pulling power of the last few feet of cable. less than rated. Also remember about steeper ramps adding extra load.

10,000 might be better with lower battery capacity, smaller wires, steep ramp, Lots of other things. DO NOT stop pulling on the last layer. You could be redoing the launch & retrieve. Non stop this time.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Winches are one of those things you get what you pay for. In that size range, you're going to pay $400 - $600 for a good quality winch.

The answer to your question is no. I have a #4000 winch and it's just barely drags a #4500 boat on to a roller trailer.

For some stupid reason winches are rated with empty spools. The winch will put out #5000 with an empty spool but by the time you get the cable back on the drum you're lucky if the winch is pulling #2000.

Remember Torque/Radius = Pull. The torque of the motor is consent and the radius of the pulley is increasing as more and more cable gets winded back on the spool. So if you have 5000 lbs of torque on a 2? spool when empty you?d have 5000 lbs of pull with a full spool. A full spool diameter of 4? would cut your pull to 2500 lbs. at a time when you would have the most boat in contact with the trailer and you need all the pull you can get

The size of the motor is an important factor in longevity and speed. The two things you look for are the amp draw and the retrieval rates. In that size range you?ll be looking at a current draw ~80-100 amps. They can get away with smaller and cheaper drive motors by reducing the gear ratio but the result is an excessively slow retrieval rate. As a comparison, my winch has a retrieval speed of 21.6 feet per minute. The one in question has a retrieval speed of 6 ft. per minute. They don?t list the current draw or fuse requirements in their literature.

Battery verse direct wire. I choose to do the direct wire route while people I know have chosen to go the remote battery route. The reason I chose to go direct was one less battery to deal with and it removed the possibility that the remote battery could be stolen off the trailer while I was away. I purchased the parts I needed to run the wires from the truck?s battery to the winch for less than $50 at Grainger

BTW: If you go the direct wire route, run a negative cable to the battery as well. You?re winch will thank you for it.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I think it should be stated here guys that you better make sure what your pulling onto the trailer can handle the power as well, I see the bow ring getting pulled out of the boat at warp speed here. Be careful guys....

Silver Eagle

I think you guys are missing my question. I have a Power wench for my boat. It is wired from the battery as recomened by the manufacter. No problem there As for pulling, it will pull anything that I put in front of it. It's 14 years old and it's as noisey as it was when I bought it. What I want to know it what do you thing about the Trac Electric winch Sold by Worton Marine. Is it any good. Some people say it doesn't hook up the same as mine does and it may not have a brake .Since I bought the pontoon boat I've been using the hand winch that came with it. The new winch has a wireless remote,This could be help full when loading the boat on the trailer since I'm always in the water guiding it on. When I used the power wench I had a long rope going from the power switch to my hand.With the pontoon boat I can't see the wench.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

What I want to know it what do you thing about the Trac Electric winch Sold by Worton Marine. Is it any good.
I was trying to be polite with my review of the Trac Winch by pointing out its weaknesses and let you come to your own conclusion.

Personality, the 6' per minute speed and it's lack of technical details i.e. current draw would make me leery to begin with. The fact that it’s half the price of a Power Winch which isn’t exactly know for it durability to begin with would make me run from the Trac winch.

I think it should be stated here guys that you better make sure what your pulling onto the trailer can handle the power as well, I see the bow ring getting pulled out of the boat at warp speed here. Be careful guys....
Inquiring minds want to know why on earth would a reputable boat builder install a bow ring that wasn't strong enough to use for winching the boat on the trailer? :confused:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I agree w dingbat but no, sorry, I don't have first hand knowledge of that specific winch.... sorry we went off topic on ya...

btw a wench is most often seen in robin hood movies serving gruel and a winch is used for loading boats

cyclops2

Banned

arrrrrhh

Have the Wench put the Gruel on the bunk boards.

That be good.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Inquiring minds want to know why on earth would a reputable boat builder install a bow ring that wasn't strong enough to use for winching the boat on the trailer? :confused:
[/FONT][/COLOR]

My point being on a used boat more so then a new boat, I know I have seen more then a few posts where the bow ring had pulled out on a hand crank winch, Having witnessed winch cable/winch hooks or winch points fail and the catastrophic damage that follows myself, I just want everyone to be safe

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I had my bow eye pull out of my 1988 Key West in c2005--on the trailer. The nuts that were originally installed apparently rusted away. This happened when I was trailering, had some hard bumps. Boat rolled back about a foot but the strap across the gunwales stopped it (roller trailer). As is SOP, the safety chain was hooked to the bow eye.

This is why the last thing that happens when retrieving is tossing the bow line into the boat. Helpers often toss them in when the boat is almost up. They are instructed, and do not repeat that mistake. If I am by myself, I tie the bow line off to the winch post. I have seen lines snap and boats relaunch themselves.

If your power winch isn't performing well you might need to rebuild the clutch. Also they can often be acquired at boat salvage yards.

I like having my winch hard-wired to the vehicle battery, too. And it stays nice and dry under the hood, charges nicely. If it's dead, I ain't winching that day anyway. But I also sometimes use loose cables and clamps to the car battery when switching vehicles. I would not have a battery on the trailer myself. Of course, the reason for a power winch in salt water is to keep the trailer out of the water in the first place, so dunking isn't an issue, but weather and theft are.

Silver Eagle

May be I'll just leave the hand winch on trailer and put the power winch on as a spare lower on the trailer with out getting it wet. The reason I wanted a newer winch is that at my age (70) with no help for my wife I just wanted to make it as easy as possible to load my pontoon boat 24 ft'er on the trailer. And my doctors told me not to lift anything over 10 pounds because of my Pacemaker. So we'll see Maybe I can find some young honey's to help me out. Who know's. See you on the water.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't put the power winch low; you want a straight pull and you don't want it to hang on any rollers. Once you get one, you'll be sold. At your age, you deserve it, and if you can convince a "young honey" to hand-crank a 24' pontoon boat, "she" may be equipped differently than you imagined!

Philster

Captain

LOL! Best post in months! ^^^^