Buying a 1970 Evinrude 60hp I need advice!!!

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking into buying a 1970 evinrude 60hp motor.Its not running now. Is this a potential money pit investment?Are parts still available?What should I be looking for when buying an old motor? Thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Buying a 1970 Evinrude 60hp I need advice!!!

s this a potential money pit investment?
Could turn into one real quick due to ignition and lower unit of this model.....
Are parts still available?
Mostly aftermarket and good lower unit and control box parts are getting scarce.....
What should I be looking for when buying an old motor?
Get one that running first then the basics...spark,compression,fuel system and alway get the controls.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Could turn into one real quick due to ignition and lower unit of this model.....

Mostly aftermarket and good lower unit and control box parts are getting scarce.....

Get one that running first then the basics...spark,compression,fuel system and alway get the controls.
^^^^ +1
The stator/amplifier/distributor is OK when working and maintained, but the rotor, distributor cap and amplifier are all over $200 EACH to replace. Add to that the hydro-electric lower unit, which again is OK when working with complete controls, but a pit if not working.
All adds up to a pass for me, unless demonstrated to work on a boat.

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I bought the motor.Doesnt sound like I did the right thing.The powerpack is missing.looks like it needs many if not all new wires.Ill take a pic and post tommorrow.I bought a 1960 owens boat,the motor and nice trailer for $300.the trailer is worth that.So I cant get hurt unless I dump a ton into the motor.Any idea what the powerpack goes for?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I had that very motor that i bought brand new in 1970. It was a money pit back then. I sold it 3 years later. Getting stranded miles from shore is not an option.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Well I bought the motor.Doesnt sound like I did the right thing.The powerpack is missing.looks like it needs many if not all new wires.Ill take a pic and post tommorrow.I bought a 1960 owens boat,the motor and nice trailer for $300.the trailer is worth that.So I cant get hurt unless I dump a ton into the motor.Any idea what the powerpack goes for?
A CDI amplifier is $258. The Evinrude one is $300+. I wouldn't put a penny into the motor until I ran a compression check and checked to see if the motor shifts into neutral when cranking. It needs to be turning to shift....