New Boater,What size baterry do I need?

Randy828

Cadet
Hi I bought a Capri Bayliner which did not have a battery when I got it. Could someone tell me what size battery I need. It has a 85 hp Force motor on it. I am not to concerned on the price I just want something dependable.<br /><br />Thanks,Randy

MrDumb

Seaman
Re: New Boater,What size baterry do I need?

I would go to Wally World and there Marine Cranking Battery, that is what I am running in my boat.

phatmanmike

Captain

do you plan on running one batt or two. do you have a radio that you want to run... need more info. but 2 batts is usally a safer bet, use one for starting and a deep cycle for running electronics

Randy828

Cadet

Sorry I guess I should of been a bit more clear. Yes I am going to run two batteries, I have a small radio (no amps) and courtesy lights that I will be using at night.<br /><br />Do you have any recommendations for a onboard battery charger as well?

Randy828

Cadet

almost forgot....... For the starting battery do they go by cold cranking amps like on a car? If so how big of a battery do I need for a 85hp?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Randy,550 mca is about all you need.I have had good luck with Nautilus which you can get at kmart and costco kirkland batteries were rated very well in consumers reports.Charlie

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Wal Mart has a no hastle warranty. Last one I bought can be exchanged at no charge if it goes within 18 months of purchase.

bubbakat

Captain

That is what i bought solittle and you can't beat it.<br />Everstart maxx yellow case

sloopy

Commander

Were are you going to use this boat? If you are using it in a small inland lake, any car battery will work fine.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Come on Sloopy, you know better than that. :D

ZmOz

Captain

Yeah, I wouldn't waste my money on a marine battery if you are going to be on a lake or river. There's really no reason. My boat has had a car battery in it for the last 5 years or so, and I have no problem with it. I do, however, carry one of those portable jump start batteries with me. They're cheap and good to have in your car with you and then use it in your boat too...

Randy828

Cadet

Thanks for all the help :) <br /><br />I guess I am off to Wally World to get a 550 MCA Everstart Max and I am planning on running two batteries because the family and I love to listen to music,so I suppose I will get a deep cell for the secondary.<br /><br />I am going to agree with you ZmOz with the portable jump start battery. They are handy to have around that is what I used to check to make sure all of my gauges and lighting was wired correctly.<br /><br />Thanks once more for all of your help,Randy

MFG197

Petty Officer 1st Class

Group 24 Marine deep/starting battery. Don't chintz and get a autmotive battery.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by WWYC na7:<br />Group 24 Marine deep/starting battery. Don't chintz and get a autmotive battery.
Do you have any good reason to prove your point?

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

With the battery he recommends, I doubt very highly that you will need two batteries to run a radio and running lights. Buy the biggest hybrid battery you can install in the space you have. (Hybrid meaning marine starting/deep cycle). That's what I use and I never have any problems.<br /><br />...however, I have an inboard with a large alternator. I'm not sure how many amps your present motor's alternator puts out. Still, two batteries sounds like overkill for running a radio and running lights...unless you like to sit around for hours and hours listening to your 5000 watt sound system! :p

65Fabuglass

Seaman Apprentice

I run my fishfinder radio and lights off of a group 27 deep cycle and starting battery all night while drift fishing and never have any promblems.