20' proline paint job

I just registered on iboats and im looking for some help..I have a 1978 20' proline which i have re done the entire floor on, stringers and all..Now I have starting painting the hull..I sanded the old paint off and I have since given the hull above the water line one coat of rustoleum spray can paint (dark blue).. Of course like most I am working on a budget and my friend has painted a few boats with the spray on rustoleum with some success.. However some scratches still show up on the paint and I am already planning on perhaps re painting it next year as I am extremely anxious to get it on the water..Im new to boats and this is the first fiberglass work i have ever done and any advice or tips on painting over the rattle can paint would be extremely appreciated..I know it will require some sanding but my questions are..wet/dry sand? what grit sand paper? how to repair the scratches so they dont show up on the paint again? best way to protect the paint so it doesn't fade? I have done research and seen that some people have painted their boats with a roll on rustoleum paint and this is all new to me..please help!! lol

also...any tips on repairing some cracks on the console would help too...as with the hull i have the same questtions/concerns with the console...

thx in advance

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: 20' proline paint job

Welcome to iboats,

I've heard rustoleum oil base paint with added hardener, then using roll and tip method may be more efficient/durable than rattle cans.

So the boat was painted previously and not gel-coated?

Pictures of everything you're describing would be very helpful as well...

I also suggest trying the search tool... Tons and tons of information to help better answer questions...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 20' proline paint job

You can check out page #10 on my thread to give you the scoop on painting with the Rustoleum and added Hardener. I like Valspar Tractor paint. (Basically the same as Rustoleum) The make their own hardener for their paint. It is very durable and super glossy. For cracks, deep scratches and gouges I recommend using 3M premium marine filler. Sand it all down, Do a Good wash down with Acetone and then apply the filler. When you prime the boat, if you see any imperfections, resand the area and apply filler. When you can't see it in the primer then it won't show in the final color coat.