1998 130 HP Yamaha stuck impeller...

Radoncraft

Recruit
Posting for a problem I had and the correction. I already tried to post this once, but I guess it got lost. I searched the internet yesterday for how to remove the lower unit and water pump for this 1998 Yamaha 130HP. I obtained plenty of good information, so this morning I had my fiend bring over his Yamaha with the new factory kit. Every thing was easy pulling off the lower unit, and white plastic water pump housing. Once that was off I am looking at the black impeller. I have done quite a few impellers before but not this exact year and model. I went ahead and got two large flat tip screw drivers and pushed them under the rubber impeller, each on opposite sides. I tried pressuring it up evenly, working them around the impeller (opposite sides of course). It would not come off. Usually they will pop up. I started looking closely at the collar sitting on top of the impeller. It was different than other I had seen. It was a thin metal housing with a white inner piece. I got two medium/ heavy screw drivers with nice squared tips and placed wood near the impeller to rest the screw drivers on while I pressed the metal collar up. I worked around the metal collar and it popped up. Now I can see the plastic sleeve, it is a split plastic sleeve, which bows out. When the metal collar is pressed down back over the plastic sleeve it will compress and the collar will push down over the plastic sleeve.
The shaft area where this plastic sleeve sits is actually recessed, that is why it will not pop up as a compressed unit. The area above it is larger in diameter. I wish someone had said this before I started prying up on the impeller. The job should have been about 1 ? hour but turned out to be 3 ? hours. We had to go to the dealer to get another sleeve (I broke the plastic sleeve). This plastic should actually have come in the kit.
Hope this helps some one out.
Over and out.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1998 130 HP Yamaha stuck impeller...

Yea, seems like I have read most techs will just cut the metal collar off and just replace it and the plastic one along with the impeller kit. Take less of their time and time is money to them and what they have to charge the customer.

Not sure if this is one of those motors that you need to pick up on the shaft when installing the collars to preload the shaft to keep it from bottoming out making noise at idle.