Is this color a sign of water in gearcase ?

boater83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Winterized it today and when I drain the 115 Ocean Runner '96, the fluid came out was green-ish with some blue tint. The new fluid I am planning to put looks yellowish from Johnson (Johnson HPF gear synthetic ). Old fluid doesn't seem to be foamy and comes out easily. Not sure what the previous owner put in there. Is this color a sign of water getting in? Please let me know. I already put the fluid in container, so hard to take picture at this point. Thanks.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is this color a sign of water in gearcase ?

I am no expert but the color you describe seems normal (depending on what grease was in it before--sounds like Quicksilver) If water had intruded it normally would be kinda milky color. Also you don't want to mix oil if you can help it.

JDusza

Ensign

No worries.
The color is a brand-name thing. AS long as the fluid is not milky you're good. Colored, but clear is okay.
Did you put new washers on the drain and vent plugs? They are designed to crush and should be replaced nce used.
J

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just put new oil in my lower.....it was "greenish with a blue tint", right out of the container.

boater83

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great, thanks for the all the good news. I did put in the new washers.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, here is a good example of what water in your gearcase lube looks like:

The next time you go to Micky D's or Dairy Queen, order a vanilla milkshake and put about 2 ounces of coffee in it and stir it up really good......there you go. :D