A question for Don S

Black as

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Don
I'm re-powering my 1988 Bayliner with a 5.7 lit Vortec engine that has a Cobra drive.

I plan to buy this distributor http://www.michiganmotorz.com/delco-...tor-p-119.html

I've read many threads in regards wiring this unit up but ask your advise, should I use the current e.s.a. shift module or set it up Merc style?

If you could assist me with drawings and advise on what I should look out for this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also a little unsure about setting the timing on these units as I've read something about fitting a shunt wire to set the timing and then you remove it.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: A question for Don S

Sure, I can help out. You won't need the ESA, but it doesn't wire up like an older Mercruiser either. The EST distributor uses power to cause the engine to stumble so you can shift out of gear, instead of grounding out the coil.
I suppose it can be wired to use the ESA, but why? It works just as good without it and you don't have that part to fail or replace anymore.

What engine wiring harness are you going to be using?

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

What do you mean Don doesn't the wiring harness come with the distributor ?

Or do you mean the boat wiring system, Im am staying with the original boat set up.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Im am staying with the original boat set up.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Everything is original Don but having problems downloading how to wire it up as my Nortans anti virus keeps blocking the download.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Don I now have all the information and thank you so much for all you help.

Don S

I haven't given you any info on how to wire in the EST, all that drawing is, is the original wiring harness.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Is it possible Don you could email me that procedure

Don S

Is it possible Don you could email me that procedure

Nope, not yet, I have drawn it out yet. Just doing some homework. Really can't tell, you never answed #6, and if it's the right one I have a test for you to do.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Nope, not yet, I have drawn it out yet. Just doing some homework. Really can't tell, you never answed #6, and if it's the right one I have a test for you to do.

I have no idea if thats the right drawing Don as I thought it was the standard wiring diagram for that era.

I have the "w" or do they call it the "y"set up for the interupter switch if that helps.

Don S

I have the "w" or do they call it the "y"set up for the interupter switch if that helps.

Not sure what you are referring to, post a picture.

On to your wiring, Need you to check some wiring for me. With the battery disconnected. In the wiring diagram I sent you, disconnect the Pu/R wire from the + terminal of the coil, and the Pu wire from the alternator. Do a resistance check of the wire to confirm that it is NOT a resistor wire. Post the reading.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Don
I did some research and this is how its done.

OMC SHIFT INTERRUPT SWITCH HOOKUP

1. Locate the shift interrupt switch on top of the engine.
2. Cut the Light-blue wire on both sides of the switch.
3. Connect one side of the Light-blue wire to any keyed 12 volt source. Connect the other side of the Light-blue wire to the green & white wire, which was supplied with the ignition wiring kit.
4. Plug the green & white wire in the distributor.
5. The shift interrupt hookup is complete.

Thank you for your assistance anyway Don.

Don S

That's in the instructions I sent you, what your missing is that in that method, you are still using the ESA module, I was going to show you how to do the job without the ESA.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Its o.k. Don I followed the manufacturers instructions and it all works thanks for your assistance.

Last edited: