225 1999 Sea Ray

Juniorcarp

Cadet
It was an intersting first year with a boat. We looked and looked and found this boat . We did everything 'your supposed' to do . Looked at the boat 5 times . 2 Water tests with friends and family with over 200 years boating exerience. We also had a full through marine survery (3 hours) from a third party person. It all seemed good. We knew what we were getting into $$$$ wise its a boat we know all the acronyms .... However after replacing all the trim tabs components (bennetts) in the first month ..Had to replace the mounting brackets on starboard and portside ... my drive controls up and down stopped ... and then the kicker i got stranded 10 kms offshore because my engine just quit reason ... to craked cylinder heads. Which leads me to my question i had new ones installed and my block inspected (luckily no issues with the piston walls etc from heat) The cause my impellor in my drive basically was worn away to nothing. Had it and all components with it replaced and in the drive associated with it . By this time it was Nov and took it out for a test before i put it away. Two probelms with the test that i need help with . #1 i only was able to test it once for about a half hour with no performance issues other than i can hear a loose rocker are that my mechanic will tighten after '5 hours' to see if any other one loosen up (is this ok ?) . #2 it wouldn't turn over period he had to jumper the solienoid on top of the engine beside the throttle body with this switch that i can only assume by passes it and it fired right up . I had it replaced and the same issue occured what else could it be ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 225 1999 Sea Ray

In this forum, the boat means nothing, what engine and outdrive do you have, along with engine serial numbers since year of the boat is not always the year of the engine.

Juniorcarp

Cadet

Unfortunetley i don't have the serial numbers for the engine however its a 5l mercruiser v8 . Alpha I outdrive .

Don S

#1 i only was able to test it once for about a half hour with no performance issues other than i can hear a loose rocker are that my mechanic will tighten after '5 hours' to see if any other one loosen up (is this ok ?) .

Hydraulic lifters don't "Loosen up" when adjusted properly, they should be at mid stroke and not change. If it was adjusted to spec, then it's probably sticking and needs cleaned or replaced.

#2 it wouldn't turn over period he had to jumper the solienoid on top of the engine beside the throttle body with this switch that i can only assume by passes it and it fired right up . I had it replaced and the same issue occured what else could it be ?

This thread will help you locate the starting problem. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

Sounds like ya need a different Mechanic, or learn how to swing yer own wrenches...

Could ya throw a paragraph or 3 into that post,...
It might be Readable then...

Juniorcarp

Cadet

Sorry didn't mean to give ya a long page to read i get the paragragh sugestion thanks :facepalm: . The lifter thing makes sense my mechanic will be fixing it since the expectation was it be in running order .

wagnerz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While trying to read your original post, it sounds like you went a little overboard (no pun intended) on the prepurchase investigation. It sounds as if the Marine Surveyer was required to look a lot into the boat, since he/she spent over 3 hours looking at it. He/she is most likely negligent in his/her analysis with all these obvious problems you seems to bring up. I would demand that the Marine Surveyer reimburse you for your costs and most likely they will have a professional indemnity insurance.

Don S

While trying to read your original post, it sounds like you went a little overboard (no pun intended) on the prepurchase investigation. It sounds as if the Marine Surveyer was required to look a lot into the boat, since he/she spent over 3 hours looking at it. He/she is most likely negligent in his/her analysis with all these obvious problems you seems to bring up. I would demand that the Marine Surveyer reimburse you for your costs and most likely they will have a professional indemnity insurance.

You're kidding, right? a surveyor can only tell the condition of the boat at time of sale, and can not tell what will fail in the following months, or say that something won't fail. If he missed a broken bracket on the trim tab is one thing, but surveyors do not take things apart to check impellers, that is a maintenance item and obviously an overheat was not a problem during the many test rides. A plastic bag over the drive intakes can cause an overheat and destroy an impeller.
It always amazes me that people just have to blame someone for things that happen, and want them to pay.

wagnerz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You pay a surveyor for a reason. For all we know its just as likely the surveyor missed something during the inspection as a bag getting caught. It hard to tell based on the limited facts given to us by the OP.