Navigation lighting question??

JCDSparky69

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone ,

I have a fairly simple question that I prob already know the answer to but for the wife's sake I am asking anyways LOL. We picked up a '68 Starcraft Holiday V 18'6" with a '74 Rude 115 and it came with a MinnKota Maxxum 74H , the PO said the TM didn't work so after some inter poking I found out that it was a 24Vdc motor he was trying to run off 12V . The TM is mounted to the bow but it is mounted straight down the middle because of the wood walkway, ( Ok I can see that) but when the PO mounted the TM straight like that he removed the front combo red/green nav lite?? I do like it mounted this way instead of angled to one side because it makes it easier to reach the tiller controls without having to climb up on the bow. My question is do I need a one piece unit for the nav lites or can I mount 2 smaller individual red/ green lites under the bow trim or do I have to move the TM to accommodate the combo unit. I have to replace the wood anyway because the PO used some ratty looking ply wood not even sealed , also gotta replace the floor and hopefully the transom if $$$ provides. If I can use the two individual lites are they legal to mount like this or will I be just asking for a violation?

dwco5051

Commander
Re: Navigation lighting question??

Individual lights are permitted as long as they are visable from dead ahead to 112.5 degrees to the side.

jayboy76

Cadet

JCDSparky69

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all for the replies , and on the all around lite on the center line can I keep the existing all around on the starboard stern and add one to the center-line at the windshield area ? I am mostly fishing on private lakes a res but plan to go to Oneida Lake in central NY maybe the finger lakes region. There is no center line lite on it now , is this because the laws have changed since the boat is a 1968 ?
Thank You
JCD
Will post some pics as soon as I can start working on it !!! Can't wait

NYBo

Admiral

You only need one all-around stern light. The offset one you have is fine.